Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Fortunately, there is an inexpensive solution if needed in the form of a 5.25" Graphics card PSU (450W), here. For only $20USD, it's not a bad solution, and is cleaner than running a normal computer PSU outside of the system, and having to jump the green and black wires together in order to get it to turn on (but this is still workable, if the user is willing).

The only problem I see with these kits is the thickness of the PCIe cables.
They seem to be really thick and the hole between PCIe section and ODD bay isn't really big. I recon that one cable will fit, but I wouldn't be so sure about two of them.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
They seem to be really thick and the hole between PCIe section and ODD bay isn't really big. I recon that one cable will fit, but I wouldn't be so sure about two of them.
I'm not sure if it's a problem or not (IIRC there's a user or two that's used one of these, and not indicated a problem, but the actual system would matter I expect), but if a user wants to do this, I'd also suspect they'd be willing to file/drill/dremel out some space from the ODD carrier/mount if needed.

It's cleaner than a standard system PSU anyway, as those cables have to be routed inside the system somehow (either through a PCI bracket or through/under the removable side panel).

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
It's cleaner than a standard system PSU anyway, as those cables have to be routed inside the system somehow (either through a PCI bracket or through/under the removable side panel).

Can't argue with that. :D

But the hole in the '09/'10 systems really is tiny, enough for a bunch of SATA cables but that's pretty much it.

I don't say that it's not possible, I doubt it works without some adjustments, though.
Whoever has this setup running, me want pictures! :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
But the hole in the '09/'10 systems really is tiny, enough for a bunch of SATA cables but that's pretty much it.

I don't say that it's not possible, I doubt it works without some adjustments, though.
I don't doubt the opening is a bit small, as it's not intended for cable routing. So I expect that modifications would be necessary. But better to mod the ODD carrier than the side panel or back of the case IMO (the ODD carrier can be replaced easily if necessary, and swapped out, say in the event of selling the system off once it's been out-grown). ;)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Fortunately, there is an inexpensive solution if needed in the form of a 5.25" Graphics card PSU (450W), here. For only $20USD, it's not a bad solution, and is cleaner than running a normal computer PSU outside of the system, and having to jump the green and black wires together in order to get it to turn on (but this is still workable, if the user is willing).

Thanks for the link, never heard of those :p

But the external PSU is so sexy, isn't it? :D

images

incubator01

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010

If i would get one of these and insert it in my SATA drive,
How do i connect it then to the PSU? With the existing 6-pin cables?
And ifcso with which cables can i connect the grapchics card then?

Is it possible then to connect both my existing ati 4870 for osx and a ati 5970 for windows using this 5.25" PSU ?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
If i would get one of these and insert it in my SATA drive,
How do i connect it then to the PSU? With the existing 6-pin cables?
And ifcso with which cables can i connect the grapchics card then?

Is it possible then to connect both my existing ati 4870 for osx and a ati 5970 for windows using this 5.25" PSU ?
The device I linked is a separate PSU for the graphics card. It has a total of 4x PEG cables (2x 6 pin, and 2x 6+2 pin cables) that come out of the unit that connect directly to the graphics card/s it will be used for.

It's rated for 450W, so keep that in mind (cards can get up to 75W from the PCIe slot itself). But don't exceed the power limit.

You also still have the 2x mini 6 pin connectors on the logic board you can use to help power graphics cards via the cables you already have connected there (I'd go ahead and use these for the 4870, which will keep the load smaller for the add-on unit, and run the 5970 off of that).

Hope this clears things up.

incubator01

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
The device I linked is a separate PSU for the graphics card. It has a total of 4x PEG cables (2x 6 pin, and 2x 6+2 pin cables) that come out of the unit that connect directly to the graphics card/s it will be used for.

It's rated for 450W, so keep that in mind (cards can get up to 75W from the PCIe slot itself). But don't exceed the power limit.

You also still have the 2x mini 6 pin connectors on the logic board you can use to help power graphics cards via the cables you already have connected there (I'd go ahead and use these for the 4870, which will keep the load smaller for the add-on unit, and run the 5970 off of that).

Hope this clears things up.

Yes it does :)
However I am still puzzled as how to install this thing.
Do I have to screw it in an empty hard drive bay or plug it somewhere in a PCI-E slot,... ?
And how do I feed it power, does it have its own power cable like a standard PSU or does it get power from one of those pin connectors?
I couldn't figure that out from the screenshots of the device

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Yes it does :)
However I am still puzzled as how to install this thing.
Do I have to screw it in an empty hard drive bay or plug it somewhere in a PCI-E slot,... ?
And how do I feed it power, does it have its own power cable like a standard PSU or does it get power from one of those pin connectors?
I couldn't figure that out from the screenshots of the device
You'd install the unit in the empty optical bay (made specifically for that, so it's a perfect fit). You will have to pull off a PCI bracket (slot cover) in the rear in order to route the power cable to the unit (say slot 4 for example). You could also run it out of the side panel if you can't run it out of a slot (not as clean looking, and may require a bit of modding the side panel or main part of the case to make a notch/hole to route it through).

But this should clear things up a bit. ;)

incubator01

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
hmm, so that leaves a permanent hole in the back for the power cable to go through :s

I'll have to think about that then, besides, it apears newegg doesn't ship to EU and I'm unable to find similar devices here

berkut

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2006
In terms of games and general performance, I'm still more than happy with the 4870, but with the new release of Houdini pretty much requires a card with 1GB of memory on the card. Aside from plain drawing speed a lot of programmes (particularly Mari and gpu based renderers such as Octane), are all unfortunately using CUDA and thus simply don't work on Ati cards. Which is really frustrating. Oh and the card that I would have been looking at is the 470GTX, since it seems to offer decent price/performance.

Mari doesn't need CUDU - it will be working on ATI cards in a future version.
It *does* need OpenGL 3.0 however, which Apple still doesn't fully support.

Regarding Linux drivers, NVIDIA's drivers are much better than ATI's (although ATI release the specs so decent open source ones are being created).
The only issue with them is that their TwinView system for multiple monitors is a bit crap with older kernels - if you're using something like CentOS, you'll have a few issues with regards to that. More modern systems, Fedora 12+, Ubuntu 10.04+ work nicely with TwinView.

jujoje

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Hey all,

I eventually went with the 470 GTX.

I installed it fine, but when I turn the computer on, all I get is a white screen. This is the same if I use the dvi or display port connection So it appears to be working, kinda. Anyone have any idea? Kinda freaked out at having spent so much money on something that doesn't work...

jujoje

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Mari doesn't need CUDU - it will be working on ATI cards in a future version.
It *does* need OpenGL 3.0 however, which Apple still doesn't fully support.

Regarding Linux drivers, NVIDIA's drivers are much better than ATI's (although ATI release the specs so decent open source ones are being created).
The only issue with them is that their TwinView system for multiple monitors is a bit crap with older kernels - if you're using something like CentOS, you'll have a few issues with regards to that. More modern systems, Fedora 12+, Ubuntu 10.04+ work nicely with TwinView.

That's good to know about mari supporting ati in future versions. I've been having a look at the beta of Mari for windows at work and it looks really nice. It does really want a card with at least 1GB of ram though.

I've currently got ubuntu 10.04 (well when I actually had a working computer), and it display port speed in houdini (which uses OGL 3) compared to in OSX is impressive, even on my old Ati card.

berkut

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2006
That's good to know about mari supporting ati in future versions. I've been having a look at the beta of Mari for windows at work and it looks really nice. It does really want a card with at least 1GB of ram though.

I've currently got ubuntu 10.04 (well when I actually had a working computer), and it display port speed in houdini (which uses OGL 3) compared to in OSX is impressive, even on my old Ati card.

It *needs* more than 512 MB - it will possibly run with a 768 MB card depending on what you're doing, but 1GB is safest. Yeah, most of the people who want Mari in OS X are indies in small companies who balk at the thought of using Linux - all the big houses are already running Linux in some form or another, so it fits right in there.

OS X is really starting to lag in the graphics department these days, it's already holding back some of the stereoscopic playback in Nuke on OS X.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.