Graphics card config MBP 2.53ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scott B, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Scott B macrumors newbie

Hey there, just bought myself a new MacbookPro, 2.53ghz 4gb ram 9400 nvdia graphics card.

Running windows 7 64bit on boot camp

Just been playing bad company 2, and after switching the graphics card settings to 'performance' and reducing the in game quality to low, i've found that when it becomes graphic intensive, e.g the best parts of the game, it begins to fail at rendering and classic retard lines pop up.

Just wondering what settings you may have used to increase performance?

I've extended the paging file to 10000mb, but still no real luck.

Also, would I be better playing on a 2.13 intel core 2 duo imac with ati xt1600? 3gb ram?

Would upgrading the ram in my MBP increase the gameplay? its only using 1.7gb atm, still have plenty spare.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I have licence keys for XP Pro, should I use this instead of windows 7? I only want to use this for gaming at the moment.

Scott

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you bought the 2.53GHz model released in June 2009, which has only the 9400M Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP), or the 2.53GHz model released in 10/2008?

Or do you mean the 2.66GHz model from June 2009?

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know if he "ninja-edited" his post or not, but if he didn't, he provided enough information for you to figure out that it's the most current model.

To the OP:
    I don't have much in the way of advice to offer you, but you should know that the system you purchased is one of the least-capable when it comes to gaming. BF: BC2 is a very demanding game and it won't run well with high settings. Your new MBP should still play the game better than your iMac though.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I mistook the "performance" part for the Mac OS X setting Higher Performance in System Preferences > Energy Saver. My reading skills were better the day the sun gave out.
    And I also had the 2.53GHz model with the 9600M GT 512MB graphics card option.

5. Scott B thread starter macrumors newbie

How much is it for a new graphics card that will play this game decently?

What would be a good graphics card to upgrade to? for a reasonable price?

Haha, I dont mind upgrading it myself, but don't want to void my warranty, is it hard to do?

Thanks again.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is not possible for you to upgrade the graphics card yourself, unless you buy a new logic board, that has the graphics card soldered onto it and also includes the second fan for cooling it.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you'd like to play more than the occasional game on your Mac then I'm afraid that I must advise you to exchange your MBP for one of the models with a dedicated GPU, or return it and wait for new models to be released, and again purchase one with a dedicated GPU. The 9400M will not handle newly released titles gracefully, or even some of the more demanding titles from the past couple of years.

8. ammusk macrumors regular

I have a pre-unibody MBP using a 8600m GT card and 4GB RAM

Bad company 2 runs decently with all settings on low. You may want to try similar settings.

Adding RAM to ur MBP will help.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Unfortunately the 9400M is not as capable a card as the 8600M GT. If it runs OK for you on low, it most likely won't run very well for the OP on medium. Low is probably the best he can hope for.

10. ammusk macrumors regular

It runs smoothly on low. Gameplay is more important than graphics for me anyways.

All settings on low will help but he definitely needs more RAM to be able to play lag free.