Graphics card dying but...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBoobsPro, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I went to turn my PMG5 on today and the screen was covered in weird anomalies (I've seen it before the last time the Graphics died) :rolleyes: I thought I would take a screen shot so I could show it you guys to confirm it is the graphics card but I transfered the screenshot to my MB and there are no anamolies on the screenshot. I thought if the card was showing anomalies then it would actually show up in the screenshot? This makes me question (slightly) whether it is the graphics card.

I took it out, gave it a good clean and reseated just to make sure it hadnt come loose (not that it would being sat in the same place for 4 years) still the same problem. Moving items around the screen just makes it worse.

Does this sound like a graphics card problem? I cant seem to find any relevant screenshots to link to to show you. Basically its multi coloured pixels with a somewhat repetitive pattern that gets worse and more random when moving items around the screen.

Whats the best card I can get for my PMG5 Dual 1.8Ghz? Also what would be the most logical replacement for an ATI x800xt?
    :(

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm not sure if it would or not, but if the screenshot showed everything good, could that be the screen itself?

I've never seen a monitor die other than an old TV, but that just kept going blue every few minutes (losing signal). I'm not sure about LCD/LED monitors or laptop ones. Maybe they would behave differently

Edit : can you hook up another monitor to see?

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im considering buying a new MB (instead of upgrading whatever part is dying) as both the G5 and my current MB are on their last legs. As I can't afford the MacPro just yet the new MB albeit more expensive than I had hoped, might be the smarter option over upgrading a dying machine. My bro is at Uni so ill take advantage of the educational discount. Still its not an ideal situation.

If anybody else wants to guess as to what the problem is I would be happy to hear your diagnosis. If I can i'll get a screenshot from somewhere.

Bugger!

4. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I'm considering hooking it to my TV to check.

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Heres what it looks like but its all over the screen and bit more colourful.

[​IMG]

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Gotta admit, that is exactly what it looked like when my PMG5 graphics card died.

Mine showed up in the screenshot, too, but I imagine depending on where in the card the flaw is it might not end up in a screenshot. That is, if it's getting chewed up on output, rather than while in the VRAM buffer (or before that), I wouldn't expect it to screenshot.

Could, I suppose, also be the cable or monitor--if you've got a TV to hook it to, that's definitely worth testing. You could also run the hardware test disc on it--that might tell you conclusively if it's failing.

If it is a bad card and you're looking to go to a MacPro at some point, selling the G5 for parts would finance at least some of the cost of the interim MB you mentioned--if everything but the graphics card is good, it's worth something.

7. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yeh thanks mate. I'm borrowing the Mac Mini from work to test if its the monitor playing up. (Its easier than un-plugging everything and moving the G5 down two flights of stairs and wiring it to the TV).

I will be checking out the options for new cards in my lunch break. I went to ATIs site and they only seem to have one option in the Mac section but I'm not sure it will work on my older machine. I think I may be stuck as the cards need to be mac specific right? I would prefer a nvidia card as this is the second ATI thats died on me (in the same machine).

If any one knows which card would be a good replacement (min 256 VRAM) that would work in my PowerMac G5 1.8 Dual Processor I'd like to hear from you. Cheers. :)

I am also pricing up a new Unibody MB. I may see if I can cut a deal at the store as both my MB and G5 are dying. :(

EDIT: Wow! Nvidia sites is less helpful than ATIs. :( I don't even know where to begin now?!

EDIT2: Seems Apple don't even sell G5 compatible cards either. I guess I'm S.O.O.L.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

ATI and NVIDIA are going to be completely useless; I don't think either still makes AGP graphics cards compatible with your G5, and even if they did you wouldn't find it on their website.

If you're looking for something reasonably powerful (256MB VRAM) as opposed to "anything that will put pixels on the screen," you're very unlikely to find anything that isn't outrageously expensive; the fact that AGP is effectively a dead technology now combined with G5 users willing to suck up any of the old cards that become available puts you in a bad position.

Your best bet would be a "flashed" PC video card; either finding a pre-flashed one on eBay or buying one yourself to hack. Do some Googling if you're not familiar with the concept. You can probably get something decent for under $200, though again, you may well be better off selling it for parts and getting an interim machine with the profit.

9. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

10. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Used a Mac Mini at work to test my monitor and the monitor is fine. Can on ly really be the graphics card. Which for the age of the machine basically makes it a right off.

I called the educational Apple Store and as well as the edu discount they will give me AppleCare for £45 if bought at the same time. Is that good?

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I admit to being ignorant of Apple's UK prices, but looking at the current exchange rate, it seems pretty cheap to me. You can always check eBay for comparison--that's about the cheapest AppleCare you can find, and taking into account that some are scams, if it's competitive with that it's definitely a good deal.

Also, the Currency converter in the Dashboard widget is completely freaking out on me right now and giving me garbage results--£0.18 to the dollar. Never seen it do that before.