Graphics card for 2010 G5

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Virgie, May 9, 2017.

1. Virgie macrumors newbie

My 2010 Mac Pro G5 stopped working. Advised it needs new graphics card. Original card is Radeon HD 5770 1gb, looking to replace it. PLease advise if Radeon HD 5870 1gb is suitable. CAn I just pop in and play. WIll it fit and work straight away? Please please help. Thanks

2. Filin, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

Filin macrumors regular

Filin

Radeon HD 5870 will work, but if you want to have bootscreen, you have to find MAC version. It is expensive, and no sense to spent money on it, better to buy GTX680 Mac or HD7950 Mac.

p.s. your mac is not G5, it is Mac Pro 5.1

3. Virgie thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 9, 2017 ---
    Thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate your help

4. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

PC 5770's and 5870's can easily be flashed to behave mostly like a Mac card. The 5870 can have a boot screen on DVI, 5770 on all ports.

5. Virgie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply and advice. How do you flash a card?

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Open your trenchcoat!

Start by reading this. It should help you understand the process more, it's actually not that complicated.

I'd also advise joining the Netkas forum whilst you're there. If you have any issues or questions, then that is the best place to get advice on this matter.

7. Virgie thread starter macrumors newbie

Star! Thanks will do both

8. Filin, May 9, 2017

Filin macrumors regular

Filin

I'd like to note, that GTX680 significantly faster than HD5870 (2-3X times), so think twice

9. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Actually it's a cMP (Classic Mac Pro) 5,1. A replacement card really depends on what you want to do with it. My 5,1 is now on it's third GPU. I've replaced it over the years to keep up with the times, reduce power draw while still having a powerful card. My current GPU is a MVC flashed GTX 1080. That may be out of your price range.

Many folks here, keep touting the GTX 680, because it was the last third party Mac Card. But, it's an old, outdated card IMHO. Also it's available in 2GB and 4GB versions. The Mac Edition GTX 680 was manufactured by EVGA and is a 2GB card. A genuine EVGA Mac Edition is quite expensive because they are so rare. Flashed ones are really available on eBay.

Non Apple GTX 5870s that have been flashed are available from a number of sellers on eBay for about the same price as the GTX 680.

Now, if your were happy with your ATI HD 5770, and want nothing more powerful, my recommendation would be this card:

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p15/Nvidia_GTX_570_GB_1.25_GB_or_2.5_GB.html''

It's also outdated, but reasonably priced and you will get a boot screen, and from what I see will work for you

The seller is reputable. This was the first card I had in my 5,1 and it performed well at the time. I still have mine sitting in a box.

I see you're in London. MVC has a London affiliate. Contact MVC and ask him how to get in touch.

Good luck with your choice.

Lou

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

No need to contact MVC, just go here: http://www.macstoreuk.com/

11. Filin, May 9, 2017

Filin macrumors regular

Filin

12. Virgie thread starter macrumors newbie

I must say thanks to all of you for your thoughts, ideas and help. Prob going to stick with the 5870 and see how it goes....
    Will keep you posted!