Graphics Card for a B&W G3???

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Hey all,

I just installed FrontRow on my G3 B&W powermac and Im experiencing inverted text due to the fact that my measly 16mb video card doesnt support core image. (I gotta say, that 16mb card does quite well otherwise)

I'd like to know what graphics card I can throw in there and what I need to do to enable core image support. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is going to be a "wanna-Be" media center. Not the holy grail HTPC that I plan on building with a mac mini sometime next year. Thanks in advance

Dave :D

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
I appreciate the help, but that cant be my only option can it?

:confused:

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
It's your only cheap option; I believe there is an Apple approved PCI card that will work in b/ws, but it's far too expensive, and flashing is easy. Head over to the Strangedogs forums and read through some of the threads (hit the main threads on introduction to flashing, then check the b/w threads). www.strangedogs.com

Moop

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2005
London, UK
I think front row only needs quartz extreme cards to work properly. This is pretty old - my 32mb Geforce 2 supports it however its AGP.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
In that case, I'd suggest a cheap Radeon 7000 or 9200, both have PCI versions and if you can't find a Mac one, you can flash a PC one pretty easily (I've done a couple 7000s; if they are a compatible model, it is a one step process).