Graphics card for a Mac Pro 1,1 for Adobe CS5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by uMac, Aug 29, 2011.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Pro version 1,1 which has an Nvidia 7300 GT card (128GB) and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card as I'm finding rendering AVCHD 1080p to be slower than I would perfer. I also have 9 GB of ram and Two Xeon Duo cores at 2.0ghz each core. Also let me know if you need more computer specs...

My eventual goal is to get a RED Scarlet when they are announced but the RED Rocket is too much for my budget and I can always get it later as there are 4 slots in the computer for cards.

I'm currently running Adobe CS5 and Snow Leopard right now but eventually I will be on Lion and will likely add FCP X to the mix.

Does anyone have recommendations/experiance?

2. erwinmul, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

erwinmul macrumors newbie

ATI Radeon HD 5770

Hi, I have your exact setup, 1.1 Macpro, 2xdual2ghz and 10G of memory and tons of disk space. The rig is mainly for running FCP and studio apps. I replaced the stock 7300 with the apple-branded ATI Radeon HD 5770 which works brilliantly. (even though apple says it won't work and no authorized reseller will install it for you, but it's a breeze really and instructions can be found all over youtube).

Since I upgraded the card, OpenCL apps (like FCPX I presume) really fly. I'm not a gamer but benchmark frame rates are very respectable for a computer built in 2006.

Hope this helps

P.S. Previously I have attempted a flashed PC 4750 card but ran into reliability issues and decided it's not worth the hassle.