Graphics Card for MACPRO

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michaelsviews, Dec 25, 2008.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

If I found a MACPRO system with out an NVidia 8800 graphics card , and wanted to use one does it have to be Apple specific, I am asking because I am currently looking for a good deal and have NEVER owned a macpro before, so I do not know if its PCI or AGP or what. Any and all guidance appreciated

MERRY CHRISTMAS

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

By default the MacPro will come with the ATI HD2600 but you can select a custom build and have the nVidia 8800GT installed instead. Alternatively you can buy third party cards, usually they're advertised as "Mac and PC Edition"

MacPro's uses PCIe cards. The problem isn't finding a cards that will fit in the machine. The actual problem is finding a card that has both the EFI ROM and BIOS onboard, this is basically required before the board will work in both the Mac and Windows environment (should you choose to enable BootCamp and install Windows.)

If you just wanna run WindowsOS on the Mac hardware, you can choose any card. However, booting into MacOSX requires a graphics card with EFI ROM, otherwise the system will just ignore your windows card will be completely and no video will be displayed.

4. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, explains everything.

Merry Christmas and THANK YOU:D

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ya welcome.. Merry Christmas!

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have seven cards from which to choose in OS X:

GeForce 7300 GT, Radeon X1900, Quadro 4500, Radeon HD 2600 XT, GeForce 8800 GT, Quadro 5600, and Radeon 3870

7. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank You

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it

8. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

Hi, do you mean that only certain models apply? Or also certain brands? For instance, I can get third party cards for cheap like a Leadtek 8800 GT or and XFX 8800 GT? Or does it have to be the apple 8800 GT?

Also, what's all this flashing the rom talk about?