Graphics card gone bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Game-a-holic, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Game-a-holic macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a question. When I upgraded to Snow leopard on my mid 2007 20" 32 bit 128 mb vram, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 duo with 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with chipset model:ATI,RadeonHD2400, Imac,
    I started experiencing problems with my games.First of all I always meet the minimum requirements on everything it says. Once I get into the game every little detail is pixilated, I can see through walls, I can see through the edges of the map, I can barely see another character, and this is happening in all my games. Could this be the problem of a Graphics card gone bad? Or is it that Snow Leopard need a graphics update, or I have to old of a computer?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    P.S I also want to upgrade to mountain lion, Should I or would it make the games worse?
    And This is what halo looks like....

Attached Files:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. Game-a-holic thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmmm, it does sound like the graphics card is going bad.

5. Game-a-holic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well everytime we bring it into the apple store nearby they do not do anything about it, they say like, Clear out your hard drive! Or Get a new computer! Which I would not like to do. I guess they have never seen this problem before...

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It looks like you can replace the video card on your iMac, however it's a pretty in depth repair and you would need to grab a working video card off of ebay or elsewhere. Here's the repair guide.

7. Game-a-holic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but could I get a video card and have the apple store fix it? I do not want to ruin my computer

8. benkelly92 macrumors newbie

The guys in the Apple Store will doubtful attempt anything like this out of warranty, especially with parts you bought online. If you can find an independent Apple repair or computer repair place that does Apple repair they may do it.

However in short, Apple won't do this for you without a ridiculous amount of money (they want you to buy a new Mac).