Graphics Card Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 50calty, Dec 15, 2016.

1. 50calty macrumors newbie

I just received my new/refurbished Mid 2015 macbook pro. I ordered the 2.5 Ghz model, but I received the 2.8Ghz. I'm not complaining about that. However I did order it with the 2GB AMD graphics card. But when I go to "About my Mac" It just shows the Iris integrated graphics card. So do I have the AMD card and how do I find out for sure. Thanks.

2. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

go to system information and look at graphics/displays. there have been a few people on this forum that have stated that when purchasing a refurb that the dGPU isn't installed.

3. 50calty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you for the help. It does show the graphic card in "system report" But not under the displays tab or in overview tab. Does this mean it's not installed?

4. Ben Harley macrumors member

Ben Harley

If it says AMD graphic card only then it's installed. Otherwise NO!

5. 50calty thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows both under system report. The built in Iris and the AMD graphics card. So how does one go about installing the driver?

6. Ben Harley macrumors member

Ben Harley

Search it on google, I'd say. AMD graphic card driver is almost every where. Track the model no. and search for download. Iris is builtin so no need to download it's driver on Mac.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

8. leman macrumors 604

It shows "Iris" in About My Mac because it is the currently active GPU. OS X switches the GPUs based on App demand. If you fire up something graphically-intensive, you will see that the GPU in About My Mac will change to the AMD model. You do not need to install anything, OS X comes with all drivers integrated.

9. Ben Harley macrumors member

Ben Harley

Leman not always! I had Mac book pro and it had AMD installed. OSx did not pick its driver automatically. I had to download it manually.

10. leman macrumors 604

Sorry, but I don't know how this is even possible. The AMD GPU drivers are not even available as a separate download.

11. 50calty thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to find out it was working correctly. If you go into Energy Saver and click off "Automatic Graphic Switching" Then wait awhile. Click on about mac it showed me the dedicated graphics card. So the OS has to recognizing it. Thanks for all your help in this. Still a newbie on this whole mac thing. Been a pc user for 20+ years and switching to mac. Have to relearn everything.

12. Ben Harley macrumors member

Ben Harley

AMD has an online library. You have to register on it and then you can download your requested driver from there.

13. leman macrumors 604

Online library? Could you please post a link?