Graphics card in Mid 2012 MBP update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsnuff1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Ive been hearing that Apple is transitioning back to nvidia graphics cards, and I really hope this is not the case.

Looking at Apple current high end mobile GPU the AMD 6770M runs on PCIe 2.1x16 @ 17.4 GTextures/s

The equivalent on NVidia's side is the 555M which runs PCIe 2.0x16 @ 12 GTextures/s

Now looking at the new crop of GPU chipsets that will presumably make it into the next MBP are the AMD 7750M and NVidia 635M

AMD 7750M runs on PCIe 3.0x16 @ 40.2 GTextures/s

NVidia 635M which runs PCIe 2.0x16 @ 16.2 GTextures/s

Even if they use a higher nvidia card which info has not be released yet, it won't take advantage of the new PCIe 3.0 and definitely won't match anywhere near what the AMD is claiming.

I thought the reason Apple went back to AMD was because of NVidia's poor graphics performance which they seem to be continuing...I really hope the reports are wrong.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

The "i hear" relates to a MacPro refresh which makes sense, since the software that requires that level of horsepower primarily requires CUDA which means Nvidia. And since NVidia's Kepler GPU is in the channel it'a a well timed match up.

3. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

At this point my guess is whatever design works best in terms of thermal management. There will be other factors but if the freakin speculation of thinning the body has some weight to it, Apple is gonna have to go with the GPU that won't burn your lap, surpass throttling issues while drive a high resolution screen and still give us Apple-standard battery hours.

4. jsnuff1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I agree. AMD have been on top of NVIDIA for years now, or at least for the past 3-4 GPU generations. It would be a shame to move back to NVIDIA, when Apple should be instead pushing OpenCL.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire