Graphics Card in rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chazz08, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

I'm just curious as to how powerful it is. The top of the line one. The NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB is coupled with the Intel Iris Pro graphics, so I'm just curious as to how good the performance is. Anyone have some benchmarks or comparisons? First hand experience, anyone?

2. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

This has been discussed ad-infinitum. A search will pull up a lot of the information you're looking for. Benchmarks, comparisons, ect.

3. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Bioshock Infinite runs incredibly well. Same with Borderlands 2. Haven't tried any others yet. I'd say if you keep the game resolution around 1440x768 you can crank the other settings pretty high (I'd rather lower res with more detail and FPS than high res but blurry).

4. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not what I asked and I didn't find them. thanks.

----------

Hmm. Thanks for the help! I'm thinking of getting this new one, but I could wait another year in hopes of some nice upgrades. I'm thinking of getting a new iMac too for the more intensive games as well.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's exactly what you asked for.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you want intensive games, a Mac isn't the way to go. It's not that they're awful machines, because of course they aren't, but they're not exactly great gaming machines. For one thing, you're stuck with all mobile hardware unless you get a Mac Pro. iMacs use mobile GPUs. They're great, but a full desktop system will be far better.

If you want to do intensive gaming, build a PC with some high end GPUs and a good CPU. It'll cost about the same and perform far better.

Also, get a computer when you need a computer. Waiting for the future means you'll always be waiting. Tomorrow never arrives. If you need a computer, get one. If you don't, wait. The only exception is when you KNOW that upgrades are right around the corner. In this case, they aren't, as all the models in question were fairly recently updated.

7. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

No. It's not. If you can read, I asked about the graphics card, not if there were other threads about it. Take your smart-alec remarks elsewhere.

----------

Thanks! I read somewhere that someone successfully installed a GPU through the thunderbolt port though, do you think that's a good idea to try to skip the cost of the Mac Pro? And I agree, buy now if you need it, but I'm living in the Middle East right now. I'll buy when I get back, but by then there could be updates right around the corner. haha.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If you find the threads you find what you're looking for. Don't expect other people to do your searches for you. Do you imagine people have them bookmarked just in case you turn up and ask?

9. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

So... follow your statement to its logical conclusion. You don't want to know if there are any other threads containing the information you want, you just want to be spoon fed it in this thread? Be willing to do a bit of work yourself, we're not going to go through the same exact steps you would to get you the information.

Yes, I saw a video of that. A guy had a really great GPU hooked up to his MBA and was playing Borderlands 2 at well over 60 fps using an external GPU via Thunderbolt. It can work, but it's clunky and not very portable. Additionally, I think he was using Windows because OS X didn't really support the GPU he was using. If you really don't have the money, I guess it could work. However, since you'll be spending most of your gaming time in Windows anyway, it's not the best solution. I'd only recommend doing so if you really can't have two computers for one reason or another.

11. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I got the late 2013 retina mbp and finally updated my drivers and now battlefield 4 is awesome again. I'm running 1920x1080 on medium settings and it's running great. Love it.

12. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, maybe you should read too. I did a search. Didn't find anything about my question specifically. How dense can these people be?

----------

Again, someone else that tries to sound smart but isn't. NO! I'll say the same thing. If you can read, which I assume you can, then you could try to not be lazy and read what I already posted. I searched and didn't find what I was looking for specifically. Wow these group of people are so rude to everyone!

[EDIT] Also, I've searched other sites for this information. I know how to search and compare things. Just thought I'd stop here and see what was on this site as well since it's dedicated to Apple products!

----------

No. I really can't have two computer for separate reasons....

13. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

All this. Especially this:
    There's a ton of great information out there. Lots of discussion about how the Iris Pro compares to the 650m, as well as how the 750m compares to the 650m, lots of benchmarks, and plenty of real-life comparisons and benchmarks. There's also info that shows where the 2GB of ram excels over the 1GB with the 650m, and even where the Iris Pro handily takes on certain tasks as well as or better than the 650m.

Oh and you probably shouldn't insult the people you're trying to get answers from, especially when the answers are already out there. Just a thought.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would willingly help you with anything with the possible exception of spitting on you if you were on fire.

15. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awww. That's so sweet. Just because I point out that what they are telling me to search for, which I did, didn't turn up what I was specifically looking for, you have to insult me. hahahaha. nice try bud. nice try.

----------

Wasn't exactly trying to insult them. :p Sometime people here are just downright mean and assume that other's have looked. I have looked around and didn't find what I was looking for. Anyway, I wasn't exactly wanting a comparison against the Iris Pro, I was wondering how it was working along side the NVIDIAs in the 15in. I hear it's pretty good, but I was wanting to hear from actual people how it was. The sites that I've looked at for comparison of cards have, for the most part, not included the new graphics cards in the MPBs. But from what you say about the Iris Pro, would it be worth it to get the next one up?

16. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I don't know if it's your culture or what, but you definitely look like an ass regarding your responses in this thread. You stated many times that you searched and didn't find anything regarding "what you were looking for". I am one of those people who reads every little detail about the dGPU's in the rMBP's and I can tell you with much honesty that everything you could possibly want to know about the 650M (2012 rMBP's dGPU), the 750M (late 2013 rMBP's dGPU) and the Iris Pro has been discussed. That is, comparisons between the 650M and 750M, comparisons between the 750M and Iris Pro, and above all significant amounts of information comparing the 650M and Iris Pro. It would appear that you are not searching well enough, or hardly spent the time to look at all.

With all that said, I will answer your question. IMHO the (late) 2013 rMBP is a waste of money (if you care about gaming). The 750M is extremely close (within 10%) in performance from last year's 650M (they are actually the same card), so you are better off saving hundreds of dollars by buying a 2012 model. Both the 650M and 750M will be able to play the majority of games in Medium settings, and a resolution lower than 1080p. Weaker games you can play in High and very weak games (counter strike) you can play in Ultra. Likewise you would only be able to play some games in 1080p if you scale down settings into the low-medium range. Some games this dGPU simply can't handle. Do not expect to play expansive games well at all. Games like battlefield apparently hold up okay, but you will not be able to play strategic games like Rome Total War, or Age of Empire in Medium settings.

It is of my opinion that next years model will be much better in the dGPU department (unless they take out the dGPU from the higher end model as well - which they very well might), because NVIDIA is coming out with new chips this year, instead of just rebranded chips, like the 750M is to the 650M.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It is possible (likely) that there will be no dGPU option next gen. That may mean graphics performance of around 750M at lower power requirements.

18. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yes I think so too. If it only meets the 750M power (that sounds reasonable) I will be quite disappointed with the performance. Especially considering they could do exactly what they did this year, and put Nvidia's next gen. Maxwell card in the high end which would be a larger boost in performance from the current gen. So if they instead opt for what will essentially be next years Iris Pro, in both models - I would surely hate that. If next years Iris Pro meets the 765M then I'll be satisfied, but that's certainly wishful thinking.

19. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

I'm amazed anyone even bothered trying to help you considering your piss poor attitude OP. You should learn to utilize a useful thing called Google to find the answers to your many questions in life.

20. psik macrumors 6502

I agree...learn to use Google and also listen to Dovahkiing, this issue has been discussed in so many ways...surprised u still got replies despite your rude attitude

21. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'd like to at least hope that they'll keep the dGPU as an option in at least the highest end rMBP.

Say you're right and the next iteration Iris series is on par with even the 765M, Apple would still missing out on next years mobile dGPUs which will certainly be even more powerful still. Dropping dedicated chips on their "pro" laptops altogether just seems....wrong. It's also accepting the adequate, which isn't Apple's style. Or at least shouldn't be in a $2,600 computer.

And OP, if you really did do a search, you must have some really horrid google-fu. Searching on your part not only reduces redundant threads but also gets you the information you're looking for faster. It's really a win-win.

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It seems that reviewers only seem to care about year over year performance in macs. So, as long as the new Iris Pro next year is faster than the 750M, everyone will herald the improvement as the greatest thing ever...even if it is 1/2 the performance of the new nvidia card.

23. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Well meeting the 765M would be my personal preference, because I am comfortable with playing games at that level. A card below that is me "compromising". But yes, it is absolutely wrong, however your statement about Apple not accepting adequate is not too accurate. Apple is all about accepting what might only be adequate, and it's been reinforced even more by this year's Iris Pro model. But yes, I agree on a $2,600 computer it's a stab in the leg. Regardless, price means nothing in Apple land.

I know what you mean. Even this year, when the Iris Pro doesn't even meet the 650M of last years model, reviewers have still found ways to state it's better, faster, etc. though. Geekbench scores up 1300!! Ridiculous. If this years model didn't have faster flash, it would be a complete waste of money over the 2012. For those staking out for the 13" that was a good call. For those who waited for the miserable 15" and didn't buy the 2012 models when they were $400-500 off...sucks for them.

24. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know how to use Google, thank you very much. I've searched quite thoroughly, actually, and nothing has shown what I'm looking for. that's why I asked for USERS' experience. Get off here please if you don't want to help. Have a good day! :)

----------

And your attitude isn't? Who's the one that cussed? hahaha. Now, if you actually read what I said, I did use Google and didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for your input though! :)

----------

Let me clarify a little more. You did answer half my question though. I'm wanting user experience, or technical know (it seems you definitely know that! :) ), on how the rMBP with BOTH the Iris Pro and the 750M works. Does it add power to it? Do they just switch back and forth? And I did try to search this, but I didn't find anything about it. When I searched it would just give me specs about each individual GPU, not about how they worked together or not. Hope that makes sense! Thanks for the help.

----------

Okay! That's a little more of what I was wanting to know. I've seen some of the scores for the individual GPUs, but this is the first experience I've heard. You saying that the performance is worse even though the score is higher. So it's not the card, it's basically the flash that's improved the overall experience.

25. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

So after all that your question really wasn't this,

but this?

Definitely completely different questions, and your last question is definitely valid and interesting, but have you come across this in your searches?

Automatic graphics switching [macrumors]

No "dual rendering" [macrumors]

No "task combining" [macrumors]

What the Iris Pro is still good for when the 750m is being used [reddit]

Haswell's 128MB of eDRAM - "L4 cache" [cnet]

And if you still want people's "first hand experience" of how CPU requests that are bumped from Haswell's L3 cache are handled by Crystalwell's 128MB of L4 cache while the 750m is switched on, good luck. :rolleyes: