Graphics Card in rMBP13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luffytubby, Mar 14, 2013.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I hear daily about the outcry for this, and people I've been talking to claim it's various different things;

1) price - adding a dedicated GPU makes it more expensive

2) battery - it wont run as fast

3) heat - even though the mbp15 can hold it, some people think that the thermals will be too extreme.

The 13-inch are their best selling computers, and the right one for most people. If people want GPUs back in, why wont Apples engineers just try to design something?

Surely a Kepler 720m or 730m GPU should suffice? And since this is Kepler-extended seasons, shouldnt the mobile GPU prices be down again?

2. mslide macrumors 6502a

1) Apple is in the business of making money. They have to offer enough reasons to get people to give them more money for their more expensive computers.

2) Because the 13" is their best selling computer (not sure if that's a true statement but Apple retail staff have told me that as well). Clearly, Apple has no reason to make it any more powerful.

It's not a technical issue. There are always ways to solve those. It all comes down to marketing and business. It's the same reason why you'll never see a powerful GPU in a Mac Mini (for their current prices at least) and why you don't see 13" MBP's with quad-core processors.

3. nando4 macrumors regular

Asus added a GT620M to their 13" UX32 ultrabook. A small improvement over the HD4000 iGPU. Yes, it's the heat dissipation in such a small chassis that's the issue.

Upcoming Haswell will again provide a significantly impoved iGPU. If wanting a more potent GPU for a 13" yet again, then consider a Thunderbolt eGPU. See my sig for details.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

If you want more, you'll have to pay more.