Graphics card issue? MacPro 2009

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aravintht, May 1, 2009.

1. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    i replaced my macbook pro last week with a MacPro 8 core.

For the last few days the GT120 graphics card was connected to two 24" dell monitors (2407 and 2408).

The 2407 is my main display and was connected via the display port to a display port to DVI-D adaptor and then to the DVI-D port on the screen. The 2408 was connected using the DVI-D on the graphics card straight to the monitor. This setup was great as I couldn't even tell if my mac was on or off because I couldn't hear any off the fans.

The only problem was that when running full screen video (EyeTV/Quicktime), the picture would sometimes stutter. After looking at the apple store website, a new GT120 was £99 for students so I picked one up yesterday.

The original GT120 is in slot 1 and is connected to my 2407 (main display) via DVI-D, the second GT120 is in slot 2 and connect to my 2408 via DVI -D. Now the problem is noise! I can now hear my mac whirring away all night (MacPro in my bedroom).

Any idea what the problem could be? When i run iTunes visualizer, both displays average at about 63fps and there is no stuttering of the picture. One thing I have noticed (using hardware monitor) is that when play itunes visualizer on full screen the GT120 in slot one uses 22% and the GT120 in slot two uses 99%.

I hope someone can help me! thank you for taking the time to read this!

2. Abidubi macrumors 6502

How do you know how much power each GPU is using? I never heard of a way to do that.

3. Aravintht thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Well the only thing I can think of is that slot 2 is being used for hardware acceleration and slot 1 is only for the monitor. OSX only uses 1 graphics card no matter how many you have. Additional cards are only for more monitors. So all the hard calculations would be done on 1 and just sent through the other card to the monitor. 1 card working hard and 1 just working a little would make sense for that.