Graphics Card Knowelege needed...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by freeny, Jun 6, 2009.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I have an ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics card for my mac pro. Im not happy with it and i think its starting to die.

Apple sells them here- http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA631Z/B?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjE0NTg5Nw

I would prefer not to replace a this card with the same card that as you can see by the feedback, isnt very popular ;)

Would anyone know what my other options would be for replacement if there are any...

Price is not really an issue if it is within reason..

Thanks in advance :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I assume it's the original Map Pro that came 2006. Apple offers nVidia Quadro FX 4500 and nVidia GeForce 7300GT. I guess there are more options available but Apple offers these two only.

Attached Files:

3. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It looks like Apple doesn't offer them anymore...

I think those are the right ones in your link. You said you don't like the 1900 XT and reading the reviews from Apple's site tells me to avoid that card.

So your options are 7300 GT or Quadro FX 4500. I would go for 7300 GT and later on buy a second one if needed, FX 4500 is so pricey... You can get a high-end iMac for that money.

Some people likes ATI more because they write their drivers by themselves for OS X too and Apple writes nVidia drivers, but it really depends on card you have, both have good ones

I don't know are there any other cards available but if you can check you mother board and tell me its model, I can try to find some other cards as well.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

6. mrgoomba macrumors newbie

Radeon 3870

I recently purchased the 3870 for gaming use in my first-gen Mac Pro (replacing a Nvidia 256 mb 7300 GT), but have some issues with it; it shoots lines (artifacts?) around in Command and Conquer 3, whenever a unit fires (and only when units fire); and has issues displaying some things in Spore.
    Other games and programs seem to be fine. I wonder if I got a bum card or if there are software issues?
    I will say one thing: this card is loud and does get a bit hot, but I haven't had any issues with it outside of those two games.

7. deppest macrumors member

ati 4870

I recently got a flashed ATI 4870 1GB on ebay for my old MAc Pro 2006 1,1 to replace the 7300GT. I'm running Snow Leo 10.6.1 and occasioanally still 10.5.8, no problems whatsoever. It certainly gave a big boost to cinema 4d when managing complex objects in the editor (no effect on render speed) and also makes the CS4/bridge experience smoother. I am not much of a gamer, but Tombraider anniversary runs like a charm at 1900x1200. o yes, i was concerned about noise but to be honest it's not much of a difference at idle, sometimes it reves up for a moment only to go quiet again.