Graphics Card Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tazdaman, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Tazdaman macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I have just ordered my Quad Core mac pro with the The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT standard card. I was going to get the Radeon X1900 XT but I was told by a lot of computer shops that the price Mac where charging for that card was way to much and it was also going out of date. So now I am thinking about getting a Card for around the £170 price range. Can any body reccomend a good graphics card? Also can I buy any PCI Express card will they all work in My Mac? Please help its so confusing. I just need a list of all cards that will work in the Mac Pro Quad Core.

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

List of cards that will work in OS X:

Apple Nvidia 7300GT
    Apple ATI X1900XT
    Apple Nvidia Quadro 4500

That is it. You can flash cards, I know you can do the X1900XT cards, there is a forum with pretty extensive information on that. I forget right now though. It works ok, I don't know if there was definite success meaning no artifacts or issues. I could be wrong though.

You can't go buy any card and expect it to work in OS X, due to EFI. However if you want to slap a card in and use it Windows only, you can pretty much use any PCIe card out there.

3. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh Great so i was giving the wrong information. Now If I want the XT1900 I will have to fork out a load of money to MAC to upgrade the card. If I would have added it into my system build it would have only cost me £170 instead of £247! Man oh Man am i gona lost out big time. Do you think if I took the mac to my local store and said please upgrade or I want my money back so I can place a new order they will upgrade it for me?

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If you haven't opened it. Take it to the store and tell them you made a mistake when you ordered. Maybe they will do it for you at the regular price. Otherwise, you could return it online.

And yes, you should have added it when you bought it.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I knew it was something + dog. I was thinking small dog for some reason. I think the PowerMacs were a little easier to work with, now Mac Pros are EFI while all cards non-Apple are BIOS. Your options are extremely limited.

7. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

I would cancel and re order but it has already been shipped. Ill give Apple a call 2mmrw see what they say and how nice or cruel they are.Do you think the graphics card I have will be ok for Final Cut Pro Motion and Shake?

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Note: Its Apple you will call.

MAC is not equal to Mac.

Courtesy of Nazi spelling/grammar police.

9. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean it is Apple I will call and not mac? what is mac?

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Apple Inc. The company that makes Mac computers, OS X, iPods and soon the iPhone

Mac (Macintosh) The platform of computers that Apple creates.

MAC Media Access Control address

11. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

12. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

13. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I purchased an MSI Radeon x1900xt on ebay for $160 and flashed it with the apple firmware... works great

14. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what you are talking about but anyways. Will the Geforce be ok for apps like Final Cut Pro, Shake, Motion and After effects or will it struggle?

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You should do ok with that card...but I recommend that you fight with Apple and not open your box and tell them you want the same exact system but with an X1900 in there. That card is very proven with the apps you mentioned, the geforce card is really low end and I don't know why the hell Apple even bothers with it. The cheapest card should be a 7600GT or a 7900GT (Or GS?)

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It wasn't about being low end or high end, it was all about it being a 32W card and under Apple's 40W limit on two slots by a safe margin.

17. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I called Mac they told me I have to re order a new Mac with the ATI in and I have to send the old one Back, they will pick that up free of charge. ATI1900XT is supposed to be way better and worth the extra cash. It will be upgraded soon buy typical MAC keep things close to themselves and I am sure by the time I get my new MAC and brand new ATI will be out and about.