Graphics Card Not Well?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Just had my Mac Pro freeze with all little squares right across the screen, turned it off and re booted and all OK, but I assume this is the first sign of my graphics card folding, or could it be a over heating problem ?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

From what I've seen over years of reading computer and video card forums, there are three common reasons for this:

1) Card is failing. Replace card.
    2) Card is over heating. Fixes include blowing out the dust, replacing the stock sinks/fans with improved aftermarket cooler, removing the heatsink and replacing the thermal compound, and improving airflow in the case.
    3) Bad drivers, solved by a driver update (but I've only seen this about Windows, not OS X).

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

I will be one of the top 2 most likely 2, thanks.

4. Mac Moof macrumors newbie

Mac Moof

Thats exactly the symptoms my Mac Pro as the Graphics Card died. I had a chequered type screen and then lots of lines and corrupted graphics. At first i thought it was the Logic board as i hadn't heard of many graphics card failures but it was indeed the ATI 4870.

5. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

I had the same issue replaced card and it work like new

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Not happened again yet, just that one incident, fingers crossed =)

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Check your fan and heatsink. Make sure the fan is working right and dust is not clogging things up. It could cause overheating which can result in the symptom you described.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

If the fans and heatsink in the MP and the card are clear, be prepared for it happening again soon. I would make plans anticipating it going wrong again by looking around for a replacement.

9. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yea, not looked inside for dust yet, but do have plans to replace if all does go really wrong.

10. gpzjock, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013