Graphics card only outputting to 2 monitors?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Orange Furball, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I bought an AMD 7870 graphics card for my pc. The HIS 7870 GHz edition with 2gb of RAM to be exact. This care has one DVI port, one HDMI, and two mini display ports. I bought a mini display port (mDP) to DVI adapter and I have both an hdmi One and VGA coming in the mail tomorrow too. When I plug in a DVI cord, an HDMI cord, and the DVI to mDP adaptor, only two of the three monitors work.

Why does this happen? The box says it supports 6 displays, I'm using half that and it won't work. I could easily use 3 displays on my old GT 640.

Help!!!

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Could it be the Mini Displayport adapter? Or do the HDMI/DVI monitors not work when the third monitor either?

3. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

AMD Catalyst is only letting me use 2 monitors. It's not any of the ports as they all work. I could switch between the DVI , HDMI, and mDP adapter all I want, but I can still use a maximum of two screens only

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

sounds like an adapter issue.

you might have a go at the Eyefinity setup thingy to see if you can get a better solution using what you have/need to connect.

also looked up the User Guide at HIS. couple things to note;

might have a good look at 4.2.1 and 4.3 starting on page 12. if you have the connectors/adapters right, try following the sequence listed in 4.3 if you have not. i've had some that needed the monitor on first to 'see' them and then list them as an available output in config. best of luck.

5. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Oddly enough the VGA adapter I ordered appeared today, now I have three out of 4 monitors working and I'm just going to use the 4th as a secondary for my MacBook Air. Thanks for the help though I think you're right about the DP splitter adapter thing