Graphics card options (even flashing PC card) with a mini DisplayPort?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I'm not a huge gamer, but sometimes my 120GT (in a 2.66 Quad Nehalem) just doesn't cut it.

I'm open to flashing a PC card, but I do need that damned mini displayport for the 24in LED monitor.

Do I have a lot of options?

Thanks

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

The only PC card that has a mini display port adapter is the ATI 5970 which is the leading card in the market. However, there are no OSX drivers for it. It's designed for heavy gaming under windows. However, you can simply flash a 4890 or GTX 285 and buy a DVI to MDP port adapter.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

Yes, as long as you can simply pay $100 for the adapter

4. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Is there any significant differences between these two cards?

Strange that the male mini DP to DVI is so cheap (~10$), while the reverse isn't...

But basically, any money that I save using a PC card will be lost with the mini DP adapter?

Thanks for the info,

Loa

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, the NVIDIA is supposed to be a much more powerful card. However, ATI's drivers are better. Therefore, which of these cards will perform better depends on the software that you're running.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

There is a simple reason for this.

Single Link DVI is INCLUDED in the DP signal...as a subset for backwards compatibility. This is much like VGA is included in the DVI-I signal.

The DP signal is NOT present in DVI, uses a different clocking mechanism altogether, so any adapter going that direction is ACTIVE...ie, it has to create the DP signal.

Another Apple rip-off...the $29 adapter that merely passes through the existing signal in their single link adapter.

7. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Ah! Thx for that info. There's no reason to wait for a cheap Chinese alternative to the 100$+ "female" mini dp to DVI.

As for the Apple rip-off... Well now that we have many direct-to-customer chinese sites, it's obvious that ALL the north-american based companies that deal in electronics do the same thing.

Anyways... thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with Mac cards.

If so, my cheapest step-up from my 120GT would be the 4870?

Loa