Graphics card options on the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mojopixel, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

Apart from the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT & the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, are there other graphics options available? ......this whole waiting around thing is just excruciating!

cheers,

mp :mad:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's the nVidia Quadro 5600. If you'd like to get that, I suggest selling off your sensibility, as it'll cost more than that's worth.

Just get the 8800 GT. Better yet, get two 8800 GT and DON'T SLI them, as it's not possible.

3. ODLAWMAC macrumors newbie

In the Same Boat

Hey mate,

Were in the same boat. Don't get discouraged as the Mac pro's will ship with the 8800 graphics card in less than two weeks. There are other graphics cards options but i would order them directly from apple as those are the ones that work with Mac OSX!

4. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Those are your two best choices unless you have a huge amount of money to burn on a Quadro 5600.
    You must already be waiting for the 8800 GT. That's your best bet, just hold on for a couple more weeks.
    But don't listen to me, I'm about to go postal any moment now.

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

would an off the shelf x1900 work in a new MP if it was flashed correctly etc?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If flashed correctly, yes. They've even flashed an x1950, but that's not much different. The 7600 from the previous Mac Pro works as well, if you'd like to not spend $399 on a two and a half year old card.

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Wait for the 8800. I've looked into it, there is nothing out there that's better.

And true, don't go out and buy an obsolete x1900, for that stick with the ATI 2600.

Even if you did find a cheap x1900 on eBay, most of them are from PCs. There is no guarantee that you will be able to flash it successfully for the Mac. (I've heard the success rate is 50/50, and you have to find someone with a PC that even has the graphics slot that you need. It's just not worth the trouble for an obsolete video card.

Ask yourself this: How long have you waiting for the new Mac Pro? I've been saving my pennies for a year. Now that the new machines are here and I have the money, I'm willing to wait another few weeks for top-of-the-line graphics.

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i would have gone with the 8800 if they were shipping straight away, but i need the box now so i went for the stock 2600 and the promise that i can get some work done!

i might wait around for a bit and see if people can flash a PC 8800GT sucessfully and maybe move over to that in the summer?