Graphics card overheating. Fixable? ---

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isidore22, Jul 31, 2014.

1. isidore22 macrumors newbie

Hello gentlemen,

So my macbook pro 15" mid-2009 model has a graphics card with some anger issues. It overheats now really fast. My laptop gets stuck in a reboot loop unless my laptop is completely cool. I stick it in the freezer for 4 minutes when it refuses to start and when I do it starts right up. Once in awhile it does this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoK2P7ce0WA&index=1&list=UUKZjBmF3l2BSVt7wZF21Ixw
    Originally I came here for advice and 2-3 helpful people told me my card is done and to count my losses. I just got a second opinion from a computer tech who fixes and builds computers for a living and he said that my card may not be dying but that the heat sink or paste came undone / melted off or that my fans are completely clogged. He suggested that it might be fixable since it could just be that my card is overheating too fast with no air flow or protection.

After watching the youtube video of my problem and hearing that second opinion is it worth getting the tools to remove my logic board and check it all out or should I go ahead and sell my laptop as salvage for the $200 someone is offering me? If it's fixable it would increase the sell value of my laptop by $100s.

Thanks so much for your guys' advice. Everyone here is so nice and helpful! I'd gladly tip people if that was possible. =)

-Chris :D

2. AkramHD macrumors member

You could try re-applying the thermal paste. It tends to get a bit caked after a few years, and since you've got a 2009 model I'd assumed re-pasting it would be a good idea. Make sure you do this correctly though, since too much thermal paste is bad.

3. isidore22 thread starter macrumors newbie

From the video and what I posted do you think it's worth the shot and 1-2 hours it might take me to fix it? I have to buy a screwdriver that size or borrow one and buy the thermal paste plus paste cleaner.

If I am going to sell it as salvage anyways I guess I have nothing to lose. I posted it needs a new logic board so if I do try to fix it and nothing comes of it I didn't technically lose anything but my own time.