---Graphics card overheating within minutes in bootcamp and OSX---

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isidore22, Jul 28, 2014.

1. isidore22 macrumors newbie

I played a decent amount of games through bootcamp on my mid-2009 macbook pro with 9400m and 9600m graphics cards. Its been extremely hot here and my mac-pro has regularly overheated and put itself on standby.
    Two days ago my card freaked out mid game and my screen started flashing and my laptop locked up. Now I can load into bootcamp but my graphics card overheats within minutes and the screen starts flashing and it locks up again. As shown in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoK2P7ce0WA&index=1&list=UUKZjBmF3l2BSVt7wZF21Ixw

So a few questions:
    -Does anyone know what this might be?
    -Is my graphics card dying or is it just not getting cooled enough now?
    -Is there a possible fix? ex: taking logic board off and cleaning fans and putting new paste on graphics card

The only way I a typing this from my mac now is because I was able to boot into OSX and quickly change my settings to battery saving (using the 9400m card instead of the 9600m that seems to be fried).

Thanks in advance for any help or tips! =)

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

No gpu gives artifacts or fails to produce an image unless it's dying. Repasting it won't affect that. It might shave off a few degrees, but that is still a dying card. Bootcamp probably doesn't recognize the integrated graphics (9400m).

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The GPU failing
    Nope, its failing and the only fix is a complete logic board replacement.

4. isidore22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the replies gentlemen. I didn't expect good news but it never hurts to ask. My computer is fine right now in OSX as long as I keep it running on the 9400 card.
    I the whole logic board is dying and not just the 9600m card that sucks more. I'll have to get all my photos and video off before it dies completely.

It just stinks because I don't have a penny to throw in for a repair or replacement computer. Ah well, it all works out in the end.

Best wishes,
    Chris

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The card is failing, not the logic board but there's no way to repair it, other then replace the entire logic bard.

6. isidore22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked prices on logic boards and they cost as much as a used 15" that works. Cheapest one I could find was $300. I guess I will just sell my mac pro with the one faulty 9600 card and the working 9400 card. Then I can put that money towards a new pc. Probably a desktop this time.

Any suggestions? What would you do in my shoes?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd sell your laptop "as is", i.e., for parts and use the money towards a new computer.