Graphics Card Power Cables?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hartleymartin, Jul 31, 2016.

1. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Hi everyone. I bought a Radeon HIS 7950 card for my Mac Pro. I am pretty sure that it is a PC version, but except for the lack of a boot screen, it should work.

It didn't come with power cables. From what I can tell, I need a pair of 6-pin male to 6-pin male cables, but I can't find any on eBay or computer suppliers websites. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

2. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Thanks! Such a shame to have a nice graphics card with 3GB of VideoRAM and not be able to use it for want of $10 worth of cables.

3. frou macrumors regular

frou

Just for reference, the 6-pin connector on one end of these needs to be "mini".

4. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Thanks for mentioning that. After I bought them, I did realise that it was a mini 6-pin on one end of both of those cables.

I'm looking forward to having the additional GPU power. From what I can tell, this particular card will support 4K displays. I am using a 27" 1080p display at the moment, though I may upgrade to a 30" 2560x1600 when the prices come down a little further. I am hoping that this will mean that I have 16:10 aspect ratio, as 16:9 is great for movies, but a bit of a pain when it comes to typesetting. I am quite frustrated with the fact that I cannot get two A4 pages at 100% zoom on my 27" screen. Well, I can, but then I have to close all the menu and toolbars to do it!

5. filmak macrumors 6502a

Are you looking at tne NEC 30" PA302?

6. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Not specifically at that NEC display just yet. My 27" 1080p display is still fairly new and I'll be making use of it for a while.