Graphics Card Problem, Maybe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SgtDuty, May 21, 2008.

1. SgtDuty macrumors member

I have recently installed Windows Vista, via Boot Camp. To run some games, I downloaded the Crysis demo and the frame rate on the hardware recommended setting of Medium, is very slugish, and I can only run it on Low Settings. In addition I have been having a problem with sleep mode, when I open the computer after a night of sleep white boxes flash on the right portion of the screen when scrolling. Do I have a problem with my graphics card, for Crysis, also would adding 2 gb of ram make a difference?

2. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Yes the problem is you are trying to run crysis on a laptop with a geforce 8600. Lol what are you expecting?

3. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you sleep it, the graphics card gets reset sometimes; that's why the white boxes appear; pretty much you have restart the computer.

5. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Agreed.. Crysis is one of the most graphics intensive games right now and trying to run it on an underpowered gpu is your problem. Take a look at the recommended system requirements. There's a difference between them and the minimum system requirements.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And I forgot to say, adding RAM will help, but it's not worth getting a RAM upgraded up one overrated game. I played in beta; it's overrated.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I dont know about you, but I can generally run Crysis at medium settings, though not at full resolution...are you trying to run it at full resolution?

8. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I run crysis at 1440x900 with all settings high except, (Shaders - medium) and (Shadows - Off) I get about 25-35 FPS it depends on area and its running beautifully. Video drivers are 175.63, Video card overclocked to 614/854 under my cooling setup and Im running Vista Ultimate x64. I would post a video but I dont have a real video camera (only a phone camera) and fraps cuts the fps down in half when I record.

9. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

I was just trying out the demo, which I would suspect wouldn't run like the final game, although I was messing with the resolution and didn’t ever find a balance. Also I was just using the recommended setting for my hardware, they have a button to select the settings specifically for your hardware. In addition the game doesn't run like I wanted it to, as such I probably won't get it, would orange box run well?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can turn it up full-resolution with 4x antialiasing and maybe 8x anisotropic (thought I do 2x/4x respectively to get better than playable frame rates)