Graphics card problem not picked up by hardware test

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've got a 2007 Macbook Pro. It's on its second graphics card (8600M GT), the first one failed on me a year ago. OS X 10.5.7, all firmware updates installed.

I think I have a new graphics card issue, but I can't prove it. In Front Row, after 10-20 minutes, often parts of the screen will start going black. Then it freezes. Sound works fine. It doesn't look like the same kind of wild distortion that I got when my GPU failed the first time, though, it just looks like things have been rendered incorrectly.

When Front Row finally quits, I've had black and white bars across my menu bar a couple of times. Once the computer then totally locked up and I had to reboot.

In Windows XP in boot camp, things are worse. I only use boot camp for games, since they use a lot of graphical power, it made sense that the problems happen there more often. After 15-20 minutes, the screen will start stuttering, then the keyboard/mouse will stop responding. The sound will hiccup a few times too. That lasts about 10 seconds, then everything returns to normal for a while (as little as 10 seconds, or as long as 5 minutes.)

The Apple Hardware Test (short and extended) shows no trouble. Techtool Pro shows no trouble. I ran the very thorough memtest86+, and it showed no memory trouble.

Can anybody give me any tips on definitively diagnosing this problem? Is there any kind of really intensive hardware test I can get (a live CD maybe)?

Second question, has anybody heard of Apple replacing a laptop that has had many faults with a brand new unit?

2. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Front Row is crap. I suggest uninstalling Front Row and use Plex. Besides, you're not alone with the Front Row issue see thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=447268

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks.

May not be a graphics card issue after all then, but it still doesn't explain the weird behaviour in Windows.

Am I able to run Plex without uninstalling Front Row?

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You can use Plex without uninstalling Front Row. I uninstalled Front Row so I could use my Apple Remote's menu button to invoke Plex. :)

I'm not sure about your bootcamp issue. Could it be the default Bootcamp driver? Try and download one from Nvidea's web site and see if that works.

6. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Good :). I could probably just zip Front Row and keep it sticking around.

Already using NVIDIA's latest and greatest drivers. The problem started happening to me very suddenly.