Graphics Card Q fellas Please help!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blownco, Aug 13, 2008.

1. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

ok so what i want to know is i have a mac pro mid 2008 model 4 core.

My question is i want to buy the Visiontek Radeon HD 3870 X2 Overclocked Edition for the windows side of things in boot camp to play games on and run it along side my stock 7300gt i would like to know if i will have any problems under os X or in windows with both cards running?

any info is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Buy they Apple supplied 8800 card which will work in both OS's with no issues. Works fine with all the current games.

3. blownco thread starter macrumors regular

blownco

yea but isnt there a problem going on with Nvidia GPU's?

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

5. blownco thread starter macrumors regular

blownco

why is that?

also guys i dont want to sound like an ass but i just want to know if there will be any problems if i install it and run it along side the stock 7300gt

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I'd go for a 4850, which will be faster than a Crossfire 3870 in many cases.

This model in particular is a good idea, with great cooling: http://firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_radeon_4850_r4850_512m_review/

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

On the OS X side Apple doesn't recommend installing an ATi and NVIDIA card at the same time due to driver conflicts, but since the 3870 won't be bootable, I don't know if that will still be an issue.

On the Windows side, you may want to check some hardware websites and see what people have said about having an ATi and NVIDIA card at the same time. I know way back when I had a PII system that had drivers installed for a Rage and Geforce2 MX card at the same time. I could shut down and swap out the cards with no problems. In the worst case scenario, you will probably have to this with your Mac Pro.

8. blownco thread starter macrumors regular

blownco

thanks for the info fellas ive just been doing some reading and it seems that you can in fact run two different video cards in windows i found the answer here.

it seems aslong as i just run the ati in windows itll be fine again thanks for the info fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!