Graphics Card Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SouvenirCity, Feb 12, 2008.

1. SouvenirCity macrumors newbie

I am going to purchase a MacBook in 3-4 weeks (thus why its listed in my profile). I was trying to decide whether or not i should get a Pro. The main thing I had a question about was the Graphics card installation. If i were to guy the MacBook, would it be able to handle a much higher speed NVIDIA Graphics Card (so i can play WoW =]), and if so, could i install it myself, or would it be a better fit for a Genius.

Thanks in advance

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The MacBook has an integrated GPU, and is not user serviceable.

If you're serious about wanting to game on a Mac laptop, you'll need the MacBook Pro.

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

All the EA games released last year won't work on the MB. They won't run on the Intel GMA cards. See here for system requirements. "ATI X1600 series or later; NVIDIA GeForce 7300 or later"

4. SouvenirCity thread starter macrumors newbie

Would the pre-installed Graphics card be able to run WoW at a speed in which I would actually be able to play?

ik the processor and RAM i'm getting would

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. Many people happily play WoW on a MacBook.

6. SouvenirCity thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thats really all i wanted to know. Now that iv'e become obsessed, i really wouldn't be able to purchase a system unable to run the program. Thanks Guys

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes quite resonably, probably even better if you reduced the res aswell. if your only gonna play WoW and not any EA new releases or cod2/quake/halo etc then youd be fine

8. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

When I had my MacBook before I upgraded to my MBP I played WoW just fine, then it took over my life and I quit. Quitting made it possible for me to upgrade to a MBP. Haha.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

While WoW and EVE does run to some degree, keep in mind future MMOs will most likely not be able to run on the MB. So, if you're looking to use your MB for gaming keep that in mind.