Graphics card replacement in MBP, water damaged

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hondc5, Jan 11, 2010.

1. hondc5 macrumors newbie

Well I have a 13" MBP thats less than three months old and in a recent stroke of brilliance I managed to spill lemonade on my screen/ keyboard. My screen shut off about a minute after i spilled it on the keyboard but the rest of the laptop was still functional, keyboard lit up and still made apple noise at start up but the screen just did not come on. I took it to the apple store yesterday and they said they would have to send it out and replace the graphics card in it. Since its my fault its not going to be covered under warranty and would cost me $755 which i do not have to spend. Is there anyway that I can buy the card and replace it myself or is that out of the question? This is my first apple computer so im not too sure about the options there are for this sort of problem. Any help would be appreciated

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The graphics chip may be damaged but it's not a card: it's an integrated part of the logic board. So the whole thing has to be replaced. As these are custom-made for Apple they are pretty much the only place to get a new one from. You might be able to get a used one from ifixit or similar...

3. hondc5 thread starter macrumors newbie

From what i read on here thats what i was gathering and afraid of. Im guessing the logic board is really the only board inside the mbp?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Basically yes. It has all the core logic, CPU, graphics etc surface mounted on it.

5. hondc5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you. If i cant find a used one does apple sell just the board without installing it or would the only way to get it from them be to have them install it?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pretty sure APple will only sell them to registered Apple service technicians/centres. Not to individuals...

A new logic board, parts only, is normally at least $500 anyway...

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

8. hondc5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what i figured. Is there any way to hook an external monitor up to it so i can at least use it till i can afford a logic board

9. Grimmicus macrumors newbie

Probably not, as the graphics card is the thing that creates the image on a secondary monitor. Either sell it off for spare parts on ebay or pony up the cash for a logic board replacement would be your best options.