Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rlnplehshalo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
I have an iMac 24" 2009 aluminium model (2.66ghz, 4gb ram, etc)
It also has the NVIDIA 9400m 256mb graphics card, now I keep hearing from various sources that it is possible to upgrade this card to a more powerful card.

First off, is it possible to do that?

Secondly, I would be considiring a radeon HD 500mb-1Gb (if possible) to be able to play "Call of duty modern warfare 2" and "Battlefiled bad company 2" etc. with a breeze at mid - high settings.

Thirdly, I live in Australia (Melbourne to be exact) and was wondering if anyone knew any websites or stores that I could buy the card from and let them install it?

Thanks in advance,
rlnplehshalo

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
The 9400m is not a dedicated graphics card, it's a gpu that's soldered on to your computer's motherboard, and uses the system's ram for its own graphical needs.

Rlnplehshalo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
If it uses sytem RAM then is there some way to increase the RAM allowance or is that up to the cards maximum ability?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
If I remember right, there is a way if you use windows. Not under osx though.

Rlnplehshalo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Here state's that the 9400m boost's its memory to 512mb when running in windows bootcamp, might just be my lucky day:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.