Graphics card with thunderbolt ports

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rick86, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Rick86 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know of a graphics card with thunderbolt ports instead of displayport?

2. bsbeamer macrumors 6502

They do not exist, and probably "never" will.

3. simsaladimbamba

Why would you need those?

To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):
    [​IMG]

4. Rick86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seemed the next logical step. Not running the cabling down the back of the desk would be great. Guess i'll have to wait.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

A lot of people have been speculating about how the next MP is going to implement Thunderbolt. I have to say, all of the solutions suggested so far sound awkward and "un-Apple-like" in one way or another. I will be very curious to see what Apple ends up doing.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I think it will likely come but I think it may need the cooperation of motherboard and/or chipset manufacturers. It's also a question in my mind as to whether we'll see the video piped into the MB and out a full-spec TB connector or whether the GFX cards will supply the full-spec TB out the back of the card.

In either case I guess this won't happen for a long while (18months to 2 years before the press-release stages, ??) and when it does it may be the 20GB version of TB as i don't see the 10GB version being a large enough draw.

Of course things are happening pretty fast these days so maybe something will come a long and overshadow the entire TB thinggy... ? :rolleyes: