Graphics card worth it? (MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macit, Apr 27, 2011.

1. macit macrumors member

macit

I searched around and there didn't seem to be a thread discussing the graphics options on the current line of MBPs. Someone slap me and point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

I'm looking to grab a new laptop for college next semester and I want the thing to last me forever, etc., etc. Right now I'm torn between:

1. 13-inch @ $1,499
    2.7GHz dual-core i7
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

2. 15-inch @ $1,799
    2.0GHz quad-core i7
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5

My question is, how much of a difference will I notice between the dual / quad core and the graphics card on the 15in? I'm leaning towards the more expensive model right now...

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Potatochobit macrumors regular

exactly what do you plan to do with the graphic card?
    what do you use your mac for?

4. macit thread starter macrumors member

macit

simsaladimbamba: Thanks, I had forgotten about Geekbench

Potatochobit: I'll mainly be doing everyday items like word processing and photoshop, but I will occasionally edit video and play fairly graphics-intensive game. I also watch a lot of HD video (read: Netflix).

5. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I would get the better graphics if you plan to do any gaming at all. If you play games, the GPU will be the first sub-system to show it's age in the future. From all of the benchmarks and comments that I've seen, the base GPU in the 2011 models is overall equal to or slightly worse than the 2010 model.

If you have the extra $300, absolutely do it.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I agree, the 15" is a much better gamer. Also, the upgraded 13" has been generally shown to be not worth the money versus the base 13". Its just a small processor bump and isn't worth the money, IMHO.

8. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I actually like the 2010 MBP 13 better if you still get a new one at a discount. Those are probably gone now though.

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Get a 13" base model MBP. Wait for iPOd deal & LION in summer. PUt rest of money in new bank account.

With the money you can

a) upgrade every year

b) build a gaming pc

c) buy extra gadgets

d) buy a monitor

e) save it for retirement

10. ampty macrumors newbie

i agree too

11. slieu92 macrumors regular

i'd buy the low end macbook pro 13 for word and ps. then get a ps3/xbox for gaming. might even have money left over for a 720p monitor.

12. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

get the 15 inch please!!

i was having the same dilemma you are a few years back. it was either the 13" macbook pro or the 15". I didn't know much about graphics back then so i was told getting the 13 inch would be almost as good as the 15". but after getting it and looking at benchmarks, etc, the 15" packs exponentially more graphics power. i have a 13" mbp with the 9400m chip, and while it is fast enough for most stuff, i has trouble streaming 1080p video occasionally, and it wont play any modern games with out turning the resolution down to about 1280x800 or so, and even then if only handles low settings for games like COD MW4, Starcraft2, Spore. come to think of it, those games arent even very new nowadays... the 13" you are looking at has a little bit more graphics power than my 3 year old 9400m, and even the lower end radeon in the 15" youre looking at will make a huge difference. please please please dont make the same mistake i did, go for the slightly higher model and you will be happier in the long run. I am by no means dissatisfied, but i often regret not getting the 15". plus the quad core in the 15" will probably be almost double she speed of the dual in the 13". it will make all the difference when rendering video.