Graphics Card

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RWinge, Mar 11, 2013.

1. RWinge macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2011 iMac 3.4Ghz Intel Core i7 with an AMD Radeon HD 6970m 2048 MB graphics card. Question: Can this graphics card be upgraded?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Technically, yes. It's on an MXM board that can be removed from the logic board.

However, there are virtually no cards that can replace it - you would need an MXM card that has Mac drivers (so, really any AMD or Nvidia at this point), but crucially one with an EFI-aware Mac firmware on it or you'll be getting into issues with the boot screens not showing, or it might simply refuse to boot at all.

The GPU upgrades on 2011 iMacs have almost all been to replace the slower cards with the one you already have that has been removed from a donor iMac or obtained via third party parts channels. Thus, given that you already have the fastest card that apple officially provided with that model line, you are probably out of luck.

Maybe in the future there will be an MXM board that will work, but I wouldn't hold your breath (or expect it to be at all cheap).