Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GAS, Apr 11, 2007.

1. GAS macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying a mac pro for the simple reason that later on I can upgrade it with virtually everything. But I have been reading that I can't take any graphics card for a normal pc and put it in the Mac Pro. Is this true?

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Well you can physically do it or course however to be of use it need drivers to work so yes you need a mac card.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can put any card in but you can only use it in windows. Only Mac cards work in OSX.

4. GAS thread starter macrumors regular

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Ask Apple.

Unlike windows which has support for almost every graphics card under the sun, OSX only supports a few and so can be more stable than windows. Less diversity means it's easier to keep things stable.

6. mags631 Guest

7. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Maybe you can get a graphics card and download some homebrew drivers. I that is even possible.

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Ask the PC graphic card manufacturers. Any PC card manufacturer could write graphic card drivers for their cards and create a MacOS graphic card Bios for their cards. ATI does. Why don't they? They're just lazy.

9. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

There is a home-brew driver called Titan http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan but I don't know if I would touch it with a 10 foot pole.

10. tonyc1981 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone~:apple:
    Does NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 fit with Mac Pro?
    I check NVIDIA's official website, I found it has driver for "X86"
    Does that mean if I bought a FX 4500 from internet, then I could DIY install the graphics card at home?:confused:
    [​IMG]

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Only if you buy the Mac version from Apple.

Sorry, Macs run OS X, not Solaris. ;) x86 is the instruction set that most Intel and AMD chips use. (As opposed to Sparc, PPC, etc.)

No. Anyway that card is really expensive and actually gets worse performance in many games than the X1900. It's only for certain specialized apps.

--Eric

12. tonyc1981 macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me "Does every ATI Radeon X1900 Series run with Mac and PC" or it just has some special series for Mac? I really need this information.
    Thanx la:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    resource from: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

13. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

From what I've been told, the retail X1900 for G5 will only work in PCI-E G5's and not in Mac Pro's, due to the lack of EFI support. (Plus it's only 256MB.)

I've read that it's possible to flash a PC X1900 XT (not crossfire) for use in a Mac Pro, but I've never done it -- my card is an Apple OEM.

You can also check eBay -- every week or so, there's usually an OEM x1900 512MB for Mac Pro for sale for around $200-250

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Cards of ALL types built for "normal" PCs have BIOS boot rooms. Macs use EFI not BIOS so these cards do not get initialised in Mac OSX. Windows initialises the card are it is booting under BIOS emulation in EFI.

EFI is the modern up-to-date replacement for BIOS. Without it we would not have the Mac niceties of target disk mode, USB and Firewire booting with a nice graphical chooser etc.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What you're asking, I think, is whether, because there is an X1900 For Mac card offered, will every X1900 card (for PCs) run on a Mac?

Answer that that is no.