Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Check 6, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

Assuming I do not wait for the new Mac Pro whenever it may appear and go with the current model which graphics card is recommended. Again I am retired, do some photo editing with lightroom and CS3. I may do some minor video editing, plus all the normal computer chores (e-mail, internet searches, document preparation and spreadsheets; nothing wild. I have been known to play a game or two but certainly not a gamer by any means. I was looking at the ATI Radeon X1900XT card with 512 mg of memory, it is their middle upgrade. The next card up that Apple offers is the Invida FX4500 which is very expensive. I plan to have this machine at least 5 years, hopefully more. Thanks in advance for the comments and suggestions. Oh I will be getting the 30 inch monitor, and yes I have visually compared it with the smaller units Apple offers. Old eyes need large screens plus pages will work better on the larger screen

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have a Mac Pro with the 7300gt (2 of them).

The card will be fine for what you described.

I play World of Warcraft, and it is probably too weak to get a "passing grade" for me, so if you want to play a game or 2, get the ATI upgrade.

But for the 2d stuff and photos and such, either card is fine. Since you want the 30" display and want to have the computer for 5 years or more, I'd just get the ATI card.

You'll be fine.