Graphics Comparison With Old PC?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Confuzzeled23, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone,
    I am purchasing my first mac in just a few days. I just have a simple question. On my old PC, I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB graphics card. I know this is quite an old card, but it ran The Sims 2 and it's expansions great, detail was set to high etc. I was wondering about the Macbook 2.0 Alum. I am planning on buying this laptop, I was wondering if the graphics on this Macbook is comparable to the card that I bought back in '04 - '05 for playing The Sims 2. I know this is quite an old game, so simply. Will the new Macbook, play as good, or even better than my old PC did?
    Thanks so much. :apple:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Even the 9400M G is better than the venerable Radeon 9600 Pro.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a little strange going back to the old naming system (even if they are by different GPU brands), but yes the 9600pro is hella old. I could just about run Doom 3 on mine. The 9400M? Runs Doom with everything on full at native res at a very smooth framerate.

Any of the new Macs will run the Sims 2.

4. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,
    Thanks a lot for your answers. Makes me happy to hear I'll be able to play some good games. I've heard a lot of people say Mac's aren't good for games. But obviously much better than my old 'gaming' PC. lol, I'm not an intensive gamer, but I enjoy a few titles.
    Thanks again.