Graphics corruption late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miniConvert, Jul 9, 2012.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hi all!

When one of our late 2011 MBPs (top spec BTO) switches automatically to dedicated graphics there's noticeable corruption of text and blacks go green in places. Firefox is the primary browser, but it happens in Safari too, and the corruption can be seen in About My Mac.

Sounds like the dedicated graphics are faulty, no? This'd mean a full logic board replacement from Apple?

I'm thinking of using gfxCardStatus to force integrated-only graphics until I can get the machine away to be fixed - sound like a plan?

Such a shame; a really high end machine, has probably been faulty since day one, the user just didn't notice.

2. biohead macrumors 6502

Should still be under the original one year warranty?

But yes, I'd imagine locking to the integrated card until it's been sent for repair should stop it from occurring. And if not, the fault may not be with the dedicated card.

3. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Thanks; yes it's only 6 months or so old and has AppleCare to boot. The inconvenience it'll cause its owner being without it at the moment is a bit of a pain though, so I'll give gfxCardStatus a try.

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Run the Apple Hardware Test. The Apple Hardware Test (AHT) contains a suite of diagnostics that will test the hardware of your computer. It's a great way to rule out a hardware issue when troubleshooting your computer.

5. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Thanks; will give that a go too, hopefully will get a more accurate diagnosis to hasten getting it repaired when the time inevitably comes!