Graphics Corruption

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zumino, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Zumino macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm fairly sure I know what this issue is, but I'm hoping to minimize my "bah" time, and maximize my workability time.

Occasionally I will get a display corruption after waking my 15" MBP out of hibernate.

It appears to be only when the laptop is running on the integrated graphics.

I'm hoping it's a driver-esque/software issue, because I'm lazy and don't want to "unmodify" my MBP to take it in.

(I swapped the HDD for an SSD and put the HDD in an optibay, it's not hard, just time consuming and between Christmas, Graduating with my PhD, and getting married I'm . . . busy ;) )

Any tests or tricks I can use to determine the cause of the issue?

2. Mersailios macrumors regular

3. Zumino thread starter macrumors newbie

Quite Right, details

Early 2011 15" MBP with the 6490m w/High-res screen
    OSX 10.6.8 (fully updated, but avoiding Lion atm because of "busy", see above)
    8gb Ram
    120gb Vertex2 SSD

Screen goes "liney-red". Covered with Vertical Red stripes ~1-2 pixels wide, seperated by 1-2 pixels. Anywhere screen has a gradient (i.e. an image for example) will look "ok" except surrounded by liney-red. Anywhere there is little change in color (say the white space on a chrome window, or the "black" space on my desktop background (star shot) will be liney-red.

Next time it happens, I'll try to grab a screen shot, not sure if that'll work.

Corruption is corrected by either
    (1) Closing laptop/hibernating
    (2) Power cycling (off-on)

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

What happens if you were to try to sleep the machine again by closing the lid and then open it again? Does this do anything, or is does the computer stop responding when this happens?

5. Zumino thread starter macrumors newbie

As follow up, yes, closing the lid does fix it (given that the MBP has time to hibernate before reopening).

If it had only happened once, I'd ignore it and move on, it's now happened 4 times in the past 3 weeks, and that's often enough to be a symptom of something.