Graphics Defect in my all new 13" base model Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kathyricks, Dec 6, 2016.

1. kathyricks macrumors 6502

This is what happens from time to time when I open the lid to wake it from sleep (15 second video):

It's the base non touch bar 13" model.

2. littlepud macrumors regular

The glitch is in the background but all of the safari icons in the active window are fine -- looks to me like a software/driver issue that'll get fixed in an update.

3. t3rminus macrumors newbie

t3rminus

Not sure it's a software/driver issue. That kind of graphical corruption could also be caused by hardware issues.

There have been a lot of graphics issues with the new macs these days. If you're in your return period take it back, otherwise call AppleCare, and get a warranty replacement. Better to be safe than to be stuck with a possibly defective unit.

4. PrzemoRBK macrumors newbie

RELAX!

This is macOS Sierra issue. I have Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 and have the same. On El Capitan is working fine.

5. kathyricks thread starter macrumors 6502

Already talked to AppleCare. They pretend to have never heard of the issue and asked me naive, canned questions like "What OS are you using? Let's check your Safari settings." So I told them I would return the unit to Best Buy for a refund since I bought it only 1 week ago. I like these new MacBook Pro's but they're not yet ready for prime time - maybe early next Spring the bugs will have been worked out of them.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    Good to know, but why aren't AppleCare reps being trained to publicly acknowledge there's a serious macOS Sierra issue that will be will soon be fixed with an update?

6. graffixnyc macrumors regular

graffixnyc

It's not happening on my MBP 13 with touch bar at all. Hasn't done it a single time.

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

At this point, since it involves 2016 non-touchbar 13" machines, touch bar 13" machines and 15" machines, it's got to be a software issue - all these machines use different processors and iGPUs or dGPUs. So either every single Skylake processor coming out of Intel has this issue or it's an OS driver bug.

While not completely ruling out hardware, I think it's almost certainly going to turn out to be a software issue.