Graphics Designer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ederona, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ederona macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I hope you can help me decide which 15" is more suitable to my needs, I'm a graphic designer using Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop and soon will be using Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks for web design. I came from powerbook 15" G4 2003, so you can see that I'm NOT that guy who upgrade every 1-2 years. I just want a machine that will last for a long time and not break the bank.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

15" High Res Antiglare
    2.66GHz Core i7
    500GB 7200RPM
    4GB RAM
    512MB GeForce 330M

Thats what I would recommend. 8GB of RAM if you got the funds. That should last you at least 3 years if not a few more.

3. jonesjb macrumors member

Agreed, you'll want the hi res and the 8 gig memory should be worthwhile. This is what I'm getting for my graphic design.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Buy the cheapest 15" MBP and upgrade the display to the higher resolution option for $100 or $150 depending on whether you want anti-glare.

For you, this is a real update... the rest of the MBP fan base just got the worst update ever in the longest wait ever (10.5 months)!

Good luck.

5. jonesjb macrumors member

Why is it a good update for him, but it sucks for everybody else? I'm just curious, thanks!

6. ederona thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it really worth $400 to go i7? And do I need the i7 for graphics and web?

Thanks!

7. choco macrumors member

choco

thanks for starting this thread! i'm in the exact same shoes and have been wondering the same thing all day. particularly about whether i should go hi-res or not. it seems like a given that i should.

8. Amnak macrumors 6502

well compared to his old one it phenomenal
    compared to one from 09 well its not like it matters.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i would just not get 8gb .. just get 4gb and get another 4gb from owc .. prolly be cheaper

10. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I doubt it's one 4GB module.

It's probably 2x2GB if you get 4GB standard. So either way, you'll have to shell out for 8gb (2x4GB sticks). Sell the stock ram to recoup some cash.

Either way, I would do third party for RAM/HD upgrades. Apple is a rip:apple:ff in that department.

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

there is 4 slots .. so u would just need to buy another 2x 2 gb sticks

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you aren't "that guy" who buys a new laptop every year and plan on keeping it for a good while then you should grab all you can eat. Sneakz laid it out for you.

What's your photoshop prowess? Do you make banners and sigs or do you work on multi layer compositions and giant 2k scenes. If the later, the 512 megs of vram and additional cpu cache will help you.

@ jetjaguar there are only two slots.

13. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

14. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat.

Question: how much better performance is a graphics pro going to get out of the i7 than the i5? For real life Photoshop and Illustrator stuff, that is, not video encoding or gaming benchmarks.

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

For what you do, even the basic 13" would be just fine as long as you put in a big hard drive and 4GB RAM. I would know because I've been doing the exact same things (except I won't touch Dreamweaver and Fireworks...they're awful) on my previous gen 13" with no problems.

So if you've got the money, you could get the 2.4 GHz 15" and spend any extra you've got left on a good external display and the Apple keyboard.

16. PAC88 macrumors 6502

are you sure there are four slots? I thought the only way to get 8gb is to do 2x4gb configuration

17. ippikiokami macrumors regular

Agree with the other posters. If you buy a laptop every 3+ years get the best you can afford right now. Even if it's a few hundred more divide that by the number of years you will be using it.

ESP if this is going to be the profession you are going into in the future.

18. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

a few posts up i stated i was wrong

19. ederona thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not thay guy. :) But is it worth $400 to go from i5 to i7

I been graphic designer for 10 years now and YES I work on multi layer compositions and big files.

Do you guys thinks the $400 for i7 will last me additional year?

20. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I would suggest getting the base model 15" w/ hi-res screen and keeping the stock 4gb ram.. I think it will perform extremely well for what you want to do. the small increase from the base 15" to the high end one is not worth the extra money in my opinion.. save the money and in 2 years or so put it towards an SSD or more ram if you need it..

that's what I'm looking to get and I'll be using with the adobe suites and all that.. the base 15" w/ 4gb ram should handle it no problem. save the money to put towards an SSD down the road when they are less expensive. that will give you a much larger performance increase than the i7 cpu will.