Graphics distortions when moving 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro 13in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arugrat11, Jan 6, 2015.

1. arugrat11 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just made an account to ask this question. I'm hoping to see if any of you have experienced this issue. Currently I am working as a technician at a small Apple hardware repair shop as well as used retailer, and I've seen a lot of the 2012 non retina 13inch Macbook Pro's come through (MD101LL/a & MD102LL/a).

Unfortunately these machines seem to be suffering from a pretty widespread issue where any pressure on the bottom case over the memory, or movements of the laptop, or normal shock from placing on a table, causes the graphics to distort and the machine to freeze. Usually after forcing it to shut down, the machines exhibit the "three beeps" normally caused by memory failure. Reseating the RAM causes the beeping to go away until the machine is jostled again, in which case the failure reoccurs.

Obviously graphics failures aren't uncommon with Apple laptops, but what concerns me is that I see this issue on about 30% of the machines that come through my shop, and this specific issue only occurs with these model macbook pros. Many of these machines we are getting are coming straight from Apple.

I haven't seen much about it online, however I believe it would be an issue that other technicians and resellers would come across.

So has anyone else seen this issue? If you own/work in a shop, what percentage of these machines have you seen fail? If you have a number of these machines around, try running your fingers along the bottom case with a small amount of pressure or hold the machine by the left side with only one hand.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. apcrompton macrumors newbie

Hi arugrat11, you may want to check that the problem is not with one of the ram slots. My 2010 Macbook Pro 15'' was exhibiting the same behaviour (3 beeps and crash when the machine was moved and then finally 3 beeps and crashes even when the machine was perfectly still. I took one of my 2GB sticks and put it in the lower slot (with no ram in the upper slot) and it crashed within 2 seconds of me moving the laptop. I then took the stick out of the lower slot and put it into the upper slot and now my machine is as stable as has ever been (I can't get it to crash no mater how much I move the laptop).

Hope that helps :)

Alex Crompton :)