Graphics expectations on new MBPs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nikolai01, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Nikolai01 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

In the market for a new MBP in the next few months. I mostly use my current one for work (science-related stuff, Matlab, occasional lightweight illustrator), but secondarily use it for gaming via boot-camp. The most recent update on the 15' MBP was pretty good, with a 1 GB independent VRAM. I've heard a lot of anticipations about a slimmer-form MBP in the next revision. What I was wondering is whether anyone thinks it's likely that the soon (?) to be released MBP would possibly have worse graphics performance then the current model, due to the slimming down and attempt to make it more MBA-like. I'm trying to decide whether to jump on the current revision or wait. Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it's possible. Then again I wouldn't buy a notebook at all for really high-end stuff that actually needed a decent graphics suite.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I guess it depends on what happens. If the rumored 15" Air is a new product, then that implies the Pro will still be around and would get a spec bump courtesy of Ivy Bridge and whatever new toys AMD or NVIDIA have ready.

If the 15" laptop replaces the current Pro, then you'd definitely see a step back in graphics performance. Intel has improved the IGP by leaps and bounds, but they had a pretty huge hole to dig themselves out of.

If you're hoping for a skinny 15" laptop with great graphics performance, you're going to be disappointed until Haswell comes out.