Graphics for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Treadstone, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Treadstone macrumors newbie

This may sound a little naive, but no worries. I'm very confident in my ability at programming in Java and Python - particularly web applications. And I've got very limited experience with C and Objective-C.

At the moment, I can build basic applications and games for the iPhone e.g. noughts and crosses and the like. However, I'm wondering what approach does one take when building more interactive and advanced games? I've got a few ideas that I'd like to pursue however lacking some fundamental knowledge of graphics.

For games like Angry Birds and the like, I imagine they have their own games engines and APIs. However, are there any free APIs on the market that approach that kind of development? What kind of stages are involved in building richer and more advanced games? Of course, I'm only one man and any project I embark on will presumably have just me behind it, so I'm fully aware that I could never (well, never say never) build a game like that. But, I'm sure you understand what I'm asking.

Again, apologies for the rather naive question but it's been bugging me for a long time and it's finally came out. Cheers for any (unpatronising) replies. It's much appreciated.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Like every topic created about this, every other 2 days or something.
    I would suggest to take a look at Cocos2D, and look for tutorials on that.

3. sgtalexmom macrumors member

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I second Cocos2D it is a phenomenal project!

5. Photics, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Photics macrumors regular

The basic version of GameSalad is free.

If you want to add things like hyperlinks, iAds, Game Center or custom loading screen, that's currently $499 a year.

http://gamesalad.com/membership/pricing

For years I struggled with XNA, Flash and web based technologies in order to create fun games. With GameSalad, I created a game in like three weeks. Heh, it wasn't very good... but a few months later I had a featured app. And while I'm still struggling to make popular games, I'm really impressed with the quality.

Here's how it basically goes...

• I usually start with an idea. What type of game do I want to make? Is GameSalad good for that? GameSalad is great for many types of 2D games.
    • Then, I start creating/licensing game content . GameSalad uses drag-and-drop interface... so getting started is just a matter of dragging a picture into the GameSalad creator
    • Actors are then assigned behaviors. These are like little blocks of game code... but you don't actually see it. GameSalad requires no coding. From the developer's perspective, the programming language is just English, Logic and Math.
    • Actors are put into scenes. It's almost like making an interactive movie. Actors can have physics, so there are lots of Angry Bird clones made with GameSalad.
    • Testing is part of the development process. I constantly "preview" the game in the GameSalad Creator preview mode, on actual iOS devices or in the iOS simulator.
    • Once everything is done, pressing the "Publish" button (and after filling out the appropriate game information) your game should sent to the GameSalad server. The game project is processed and it is sent back to you. (Currently, GameSalad is Mac only.) The file is then signed. That file can then be sent to Apple. If it's approved... then the app appears on the App Store.

The nice thing about GameSalad is that it has Mac App Store publishing and it's starting to enter HTML 5 publishing. GameSalad recently received a 6.1 million dollar investment, so I think that the company has a good future.