Graphics issues with 2nd MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoomisGLX, Oct 18, 2012.

1. LoomisGLX macrumors newbie

LoomisGLX

long story short, my first retina kept having consistent issues with IR, and graphics issues, where switching from one picture to another would cause both pictures to "overlap" and start flickering together. After constant frustration Apple pulled through with their amazing customer service and upgraded me to the top of the line Retina model, at no additional cost.

again, this MBPr (i am typing this from it) also came with an LG screen with IR, and was also swapped to the samsung screen. I am now experiencing the same graphics issues as the last retina!! so i am posting to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing, or if you guys can suggest any possibilites of what it could be, and what course of action i should take, as this is the second time.

here is the link to the issue, recorded from my phone:
    http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/...14-B4B9-7246A1CC1722-338-0000000F5D432889.mp4 <-- this is on the current machine

this next link is from my old machine, showing the exact same problem (posting for comparison):
    http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/STiTcHeDLiNk-/?action=view&current=002.mp4

it seems to be happening with Flash based pictures, if that raises any suggestions.

2. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Honestly, it just looks like a Flash bug. I can't replicate what you have on mine but then again, Yahoo Australia doesn't seem to use Flash for it's pictures on the front page.

3. LoomisGLX, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

LoomisGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

LoomisGLX

thank you for trying, and i notice you have the exact same setup as me, which helps as well. i am fairly new, and if i may ask you, how does the Mac community deal with flash? i understand i am to avoid is as much as possible, due to stuff like this. But i tried not installing flash whatsoever, and many many websites did not work. so i installed Flash and installed ClickToPlugin to at least moderate what i can. Is there a way to not install flash whatsoever and still have a seamless browsing experience?

4. LoomisGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

LoomisGLX

i have pinpointed the problem. the issue is happening under the integrated graphics card. I downloaded gfxcardstatus, and when i set it under "integrated", the issue comes up and will not go away until i set the graphics to "discrete", then the problem will go away and the pictures transition fine. I believe there is definitely an issue here on this logic board / graphics card. is there anything i should try before sending this one back and going onto my 3rd machine? would resetting the SMC do anything? how do i go about resetting SMC?

5. 0x000000, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

0x000000 macrumors 6502

Cant play the video but try using a different browser. I had that with my 13" MBA after an osx update, idk, simply switched or updated browsers and it was okay... It happened during html5 transparency transitions.

Update: Now I could watch the video and yes, it's the same behavior I've seen on a much older 2010's MBA with dedicated (!) GPU and HTML transparency transitions. And it was browser/os-related, changing browsers helped.

6. LoomisGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

LoomisGLX

just wanted to give an update, maybe for those of you who are having similar problems - i reset the SMC, and put the graphics to "integrated", and the problem seems to have gone away, i tried this a couple times by switching between integrated and discrete a couple times, and nothing yet, i will keep monitoring this.

thanks to those of you who took the time to read this thread and give me suggestions

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I'm not surprised. The integrated GPU (Intel HD 4000) has given me lots of problems. I also get artefacts, (not like yours but random lines appearing) and system crashes. Switching to the discrete GPU fixes that. I guess we'll just have to wait for Apple to release new drivers.

8. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

If that's the only instances where that happens, with flash, it's probably software related. Until Apple have sorted themselves out, or not, just enjoy your complimentary top spec MBRr with something else!

9. LoomisGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

LoomisGLX

another update - it appears that the problem is getting worse, so i am not sure if its a software problem anymore. Now, as i type (even as i type this) the letters seem to disappear as if i was erasing them, but they are still there (hard to explain). As i keep typing, the letters show up again and it will happen over and over. i will try to capture video of it, i am talking to an Apple engineer about this, and they are using my data for testing.

10. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Hahahahaha! I'm laughing because I know EXACTLY what the issue is, and I'm happy to say DON'T RETURN IT. This is a known Safari issue. Even typing from my cMBP 2012, I had to restart my computer today to get that annoying disappearing letter thing to stop. It's been worse since the Java removal. Change browsers.

EDIT: I had to stop posting on the forums earlier for this exact reason. I'd be typing "I have a question", but I'd delete "question", and it would still show up on the screen until I went back more characters. Half the browser will tear, links won't click (because you're further down the page than you think you are).

11. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Don't worry, mine does the exact same thing as you. It's looks like the letters are disappearing and then reappearing right? :D It's just a Safari bug, it's a software issue not hardware.

12. LoomisGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

LoomisGLX

thats great to hear guys! do you guys also get the image flickering problem? is that also safari related?

13. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I'm not a computer engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm going to go ahead and give a confident, "most likely/almost positive". Safari performance on 10.8.2. is laughable and crap like you're seeing happens to me all the time. Yet I'm too lazy to use another browser. I know, right?

Either way, there is nothing mechanically wrong with your system. Enjoy your rMBP!

14. leman macrumors G3

Just use another browser, Safari is buggy as hell and this is by no means exclusive to the rMBP. This is what happens when you enable experimental untested hardware acceleration in a release build :/

15. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Safari crashes on my 2011 Mac mini running 10.8.2 probably half a dozen times a day. After a few days of that I get fed up, go back to Firefox, miss some of the Safari features, and repeat the cycle. It's a Safari/Mountain Lion problem that affects more than just rMBP.