Graphics, Mac Book Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hant, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Hant macrumors newbie

Hello, first of all I apologize because I think that other posts talk about similar "things"
    Basically I ordered a Mac Book Pro 15" with touch bar, the 450 radeon pro version with the stock CPU
    And I just forgot that the 460 radeon pro has 0,86 teraflops more than the 450.
    So, should I change my order ? And is it worth it, I really don't know because there no gaming benchmark wich compares FPS in games between 450 and the 460.

So, does the 460 benefit of almost 2 times more FPS because it has almost twice the calculating power, or not, even if I don't think so, does anyone know how much performance I could get in terms of games by choosing the radeon 460 ?

Thanks, and I apologize for all the mistakes and the bad english

Hant

PS : I have an Imac late 2012 with a GTX 650M, and apparently (gpuboss.com) the Radeon 450 is twice as good ? (so twice more fps ?)

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Judging from a common benchmark, the 460 is about 25% faster than the 450, nothing close to twice as much.

3. fs454 macrumors 68000

On a mid-range line of GPUs, every last ounce of power matters. If you're trying to game, get the 460. I run BF1 and Overwatch incredibly on the 460, but there's not a lot of headroom to work with in terms of power. It's 75% medium 25% high settings @ 1920x1200 with generous AA and it can hold 60fps most of the time in BF. I wouldn't want to lose any power here.

4. Hant thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I see, I just ordered the new Macbook, should I consider using bootcamp and cut my internal SSD in two, or should I run windows on an external SSD ?

5. fs454 macrumors 68000

How big of an SSD did you get / what do you anticipate using Windows for? I have a 1TB model with 750GB for OS X and 250GB for Windows. It's easier, faster (unless you get some insane external SSD) and more seamless to run it all on the internal SSD.

6. Hant thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the 256 ssd, it is just ridiculous, but as a student i cant just invest 720 euros (800$) in 744 gigs more.
    The pricing is just ridiculous...
    I thought that I would be able to upgrade my storage in the future, but apparently it is not possible on the 15", I am really thinking of sending it back as soon as it arrives...
    I would love to run windows on the internal SSD but I won't be able to. I just need windows to play games..

But is there a way to get my internal SSD upgraded by apple in the future ?

7. fs454 macrumors 68000

There's absolutely no way to upgrade in the future, unfortunately. The whole computer would need to be replaced. It does suck, but maybe try and swing for the 512GB model? That should give you enough for both, but on 256 it's not really doable for dual-booting. You could potentially do ~180GB for Mac and 70GB for Windows, and then install all games to an external drive.

This computer is stupidly expensive - it's the worst part about it. Did you get the stock CPU? It definitely doesn't need the upgrade and you can save some cash there. And make sure you're doing the student discount, if you can.

8. Hant thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the 12% student discount from my business school, got the stock CPU and the 460 GPU, 256 gigs is actually enough, if not considering the games, I think that I will bootcamp 30 gigs for Windows and install all my games on an external hard drive, my only fear about that is that the USB-C hub that i've got unplugs during use

9. fs454 macrumors 68000

You should be good going the external route. Just get a fast 7200rpm drive, a cheaper external SSD, or one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT250B/dp/B01AVF6UQQ?th=1 so your load times aren't crazy long in games. Enjoy the new MBP!

10. dammerl macrumors regular

dammerl

There are comparing benchmarks on notebookcheck (Permalink).

11. Hant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate, yes I saw the samsung SSD with usb-c, I already use this hub, https://www.amazon.fr/Type-C-Delive...TF8&qid=1483894183&sr=8-10&keywords=usb-c+hub
    but the problem is that this hub quite easily "pulls out" from itself.

I will get the samsung SSD in 1 TB edition and it will be fine.

Thanks for your help :)

12. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

You can even install Bootcamp on an external SSD :) running windows from it.

Hope this helps you out !

13. Hant thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know but my fear is that I accidentally unplug the SSD during use and that Everything just crashes

14. fs454 macrumors 68000

I'd plug the USB-C drive that contains Boot Camp directly into the MBP then, the USB-C connection on the MBP itself is pretty tight and secure. You'd have to be in a moving vehicle or something to be at risk of unplugging during use.

If you've already got a USB type A drive, you can buy a native USB-C cable for any other USB end or use one of Apple's $9 USB-C to USB-A adapters. Those are also extremely tight fitting on both ends.

15. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

Don't worry Windows can also crash without an external SSD!

:rolleyes:

just trolling!