Graphics Performance Hit with Every Iteration of Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Prodo123, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

On ML I had 30-40FPS on LoL with everything high.
    DP3-5 was 30FPS at everything mid.
    DP6 is 24-30FPS at everything mid, 30-35 at everything low.

Is it just me or is graphics performance getting lower? Maybe I'm on the verge of a conspiracy theory but maybe Apple is diminishing graphics performance of older Macs to encourage people to buy newer Macs, because I personally cannot find any reasonable explanation for these successive performance drops.

2. myxomatosis macrumors member

myxomatosis

3. kensic macrumors 6502

do you use a program that shows you the FPS?

I have seen a lot of youtube videos that people have and it shows the FPS # during the game, I always wonder how people do that.

can you show me?

4. Prodo123, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Will try this. Thank you for the tip.

EDIT: NVRAM + SMC reset gave back 5-6 FPS!

LoL is one of those games with a built-in FPS counter next to the ping count. You can go to any stream, e.g. Twitch.tv and watch a game and on the right top corner you will see an FPS count.
    For games that lack this, the most common way to display FPS count on PCs is Fraps. For the Mac equivalent, there is a thread on it.

5. joewmix macrumors newbie

I think it's just the problem of the software itself. It's still a preview version anyway. I tried to play games on the DP5 with macbook pro retina, and find the FPS is actually getting lower compare to playing on mountain lion. But the GPU is getting a little bit cooler. I played cider version TES:Skyrim by the way.

6. jeanlain macrumors 65816

On my Macbook pro with 9600M GT, the openGL Extension Viewer tests are lower in Mavericks but results look inconsistent. In a more real-world benchmark (Unigine Heaven), Mavericks is quite a bit faster (20%) than ML.

7. myxomatosis macrumors member

myxomatosis

Glad it helped you ;)

8. BL4zD macrumors 6502

there is also a lot of debugging code that is going to be impacting performance