Graphics performance-- is HD3000 good enough?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by chigurh, Jul 20, 2011.

1. chigurh macrumors newbie

Is it worth the extra £150 for the AMD graphics set? Disappointed that my Macbook can't run Half-Life 2, i'd not like to have this problem again. I'm assuming that the HD3000 can handle full 1080p from the HDMI as well?

For someone who isn't going to do a massive amount of gaming (mainly ProTools, internet and movies watching), is the upgrade to the AMD a bit of a waste, or am I really limiting myself for the future with the HD3000 if I decide to play a few games?

2. TA031 macrumors newbie

HD3000 is trash. Its one step above nothing at all.

3. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Glitch44, I'm using a MacBook Pro (current model with 4GB of RAM) and I find the Intel HD 3000 brings a choppy performance to the machine when using Lion.

This machine is getting returned to Apple (within 14 day return period) and I have placed an order for a Mac Mini.

Like you, I swayed between which model to buy. I usually buy the entry level model of any Mac I buy, however due to my experience with the Intel HD 3000 I decided the extra would be worth it. Just think - you'll probably want to increase the RAM to 4GB anyway and that will cost between £30 and £40.

I recommend to cut costs that you take advantage of the printer rebate option. Buy the Office Jet 4500 at £70 and Apple will give you £70 back. You'll be able to sell this printer and clear around £40.