Graphics: Plastic vs. Aluminum Macbook for Skype and YouTube?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThomasJL, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

For someone with a plastic MacBook that has the Intel GMA X3100 and 4GB RAM, will they notice any difference in graphics performance when video chatting with Skype? The camera being used is the top-of-the-line Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro.

Will I notice any difference for YouTube?

Thanks! :)

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

the only thing i would think of is that it wont run as hot...because i know my aluminum macbook doesnt run as hot (if hot at all)while running youtube videos as my sisters white macbook, hers starts to burn after watching a few videos...

as for skype...im on it pretty much everyday talking to my girlfriend (i moved to Canada, and shes back in California... :() it raises the temp to the mid to high 60s...and takes about 20-25 percent of the CPU...im not sure what the performance is on the regular macbook though...i dont know if its much different

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No difference because that isn't graphic intensive at all. My Blackbook gets to about 49-52C when watching Youtube and around 54C for Skype which is very cool without any fans coming on. My last gen Blackbook stays really cool even if I run a number of things at the same time. For things that require more resources it goes up, but never above 68-72C. I have been pleased with it regarding this and I have owned 2 previous Macbooks.

Both are good choices.

4. tiartrop macrumors regular

You mean using another webcam other than the one from the macbook itself?

What I noticed with my alu book is that Photobooth (that what it's called, right?) seems to run smoother when recording and/or play a recording. My prev macbook had 4GB ram,while I have yet to upgrade this one.

But for Skype and Youtube, I don't notice any difference. I often do both while working on Word and play itunes, even sometimes Photoshop, both machines are handling it well. :)