Graphics problem after windows updated on macbook running windows on bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsenijcz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. arsenijcz macrumors newbie

I have spent a week now trying to fix my laptop. (running windows in bootcamp on my macbook)
    I downloaded a windows update Intel graphics card and it really made my computer freeze all the time. So I deiced to find another version of that graphics update and uninstall the old one. But I made things even worse I installed and uninstalled so many times and now my resolution cannot go further than 1028x800. Compared to what it should be.
    I have been googling the problem for so long, looking at geeky forums but I couldn’t find anything. I even tried command port to change the resolution through registry settings but nothing.
    Have you got any tool, or advice that may help me?

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

If I had your problem, I would copy off my value added content and then delete the BootCamp Windows partition using BootCamp Assistant. I would then go back and reinstall.

Then after installing and loading the Apple supplied drivers, I would back up the Windows partition using WinClone to either the OSX internal drive or to an external drive. This would be your base line image that you can always get backto using WinClone. Then through time, I would regularly make WinClone backups. I would keep the base line forever and keep the most recent image for disaster recovery.

Not to preach, but a system backup and recovery solution set is a requirement in my book.

Neil

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Might sound odd, but yes you have Windows but don't mess around with the drivers, more often than none it causes more problems. Just stick with Apple's drivers.

4. arsenijcz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Neil! I will then try to backup and reinstall.
    When i will delete the windows partition, can i regulary format that partiton or it will mess things up? I remember i formated a partition and it messed up all of the rest paritions.

Thank you so much guys, really appriciate your time

5. arsenijcz thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, definitely now i see that keeping the oriinal drivers is the best option.

6. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

When you use BootCamp Assistant to remove your Windows partition it restores the internal drive to one partition (check that this is so). Then reinstall using the BootCamp instructions.

Neil

7. arsenijcz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive done everything from scratch. Everything is working now :)
    thank you guys for the advice.

for people that are/will have this problem be becareful and not install the windows update for Display - Mobile Intel(R)956 Express chipset family.
    as was said above, just stick to the bootcamp drivers.