Graphics Problem When Playing Games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scbrain, Aug 16, 2016.

1. scbrain macrumors newbie

Two games I have tried - Tropico 5 and Civ 5 - produce a similar problem on my 2015 MacBook Pro. Every so often, the image on the screen will "roll" sideways two or three times, and then turn black with a red dotted line from top to bottom, about 1/3 of the way from the left side of the screen, for a few seconds. It returns to normal after a short while with no apparent permanent harm done.

This is fairly irritating on its own, but it is accompanied by a sound card problem: when this happens, the sound begins to drop in and out very quickly, as though someone is pressing and releasing the mute button on the keyboard. This can be fixed only by quitting the program and restarting.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like a GPU issue, or maybe another hardware problem. More specific information about your Mac would be helpful.

Have you tried running the built in diagnostics?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

2015 models either have Intel integrated GPU or AMD descrete GPU. Either could have a problem although the AMD GPU is more likely based on trends.

4. scbrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I have the 2015 MBP with "Intel Iris Graphics 6100, 1536 MB."

SCB

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Any results from the diagnostics?

Are you able to take it to an Apple Store or AASP for repair(if you have warranty)?

6. scbrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear T5BRICK,

Thanks for the reply! I ran the diagnostic check, but no issues were found. Maybe I'll run it sometime DIRECTLY after the problem occurs.

I live fairly far from the nearest Apple Store, and I'd have to classify my issue as more of a nuisance than a problem. If I don't play games: no problems!

SCB