Graphics & Sound Drivers - Beyond Bootcamp!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by reech, Jan 12, 2010.

1. reech macrumors newbie

H'lo,

Got my March2009 iMac22" sorted out with Windows XP, since I'm eager to play a few non-macable games (Star Trek Online...)

XP is on, drivers are installed, system is patched to SP3, and everything's working fine.

STO does work fine, but the resolution is quite low; the game points out that the graphic card drivers are quite old. I'd assume this is because they're the bootcamp-based ones, since I haven't upgraded the drivers. Also, the sound is a bit muffled (not at all like games running natively in OSX) - again, I'll assume due to old sound card drivers.

Is it 'safe' to update the graphics card drivers \ sound card drivers from the manufacturers sites, rather than waiting for ones to come out via the Apple\Bootcamp route? If people have done this, can they let me know how \ where \ and what things to choose?

Much appreciated!

Yours,

Noob.

2. bware189 macrumors member

Its very safe. Research your videocard. Its either ATI or nvidia, and probably the gt120 (nvidia) or the 4850 (ATI). It could also be the 9400M, but if that's the case, I wouldn't be trying to play too many up-to-date games; that card is kind of a brick (not dissing, just comparatively speaking).

3. reech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you - will go and search out.

Will do the same for the sound card; in Windows it seems 'muffled' yet in Mac mode, everything's fine!

4. reech thread starter macrumors newbie

Graphics card update went fine, has made things a bit perkier.

However, the sound from the speakers in Windows XP is really muffled - almost like someone's covered the speaker - yet in OSX, there's no bother, crystal-clear sharp sound.

Any suggestions?

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Right-click on the sound icon next to the clock --> Playback devices. Double click on "Speakers", click on the "Enhancements" tab, scroll down and check "Virtual Surround" and "Equalizer" which you will set to Rock. Click Apply and things should be much better.

I always do this with any Vista/Win7 installation because I totally know what you mean when you say "muffled". Sound in OS X seems so much clearer for some reason. Hopefully this makes things sound a little more like OS X. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it sounds much better than the default.