Graphics switching in Windows on latest MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noacess, Dec 3, 2015.

1. noacess macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

My last MBP was a 15" MBP-nr from 2012 with discrete graphics. It was unable to switch between integrated and discrete graphics while in Windows bootcamp. Do the current MBPs still have that limitation? I gave my old machine to my sister but am now considering getting a skylake MBP once they're available. Whether or not graphics switching now works in will help me determine which one I'm going to purchase.

Thanks for the help.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes they still have that limitation, they also only use the dGPU when running external screens under OSX.

3. noacess thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats unfortunate. Now I just need to choose between the 13" or the lower end 15". Part of me wishes they would offer a quad core in the 13" form factor. Decisions decisions :). Thanks for the information.

4. Loismustdie1 macrumors member

Loismustdie1

If you purchase the entry level 15 in model graphics switching will be irrelevant anyway as the newer 15 inch models lack the dedicated graphics card.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's correct in windows you are forced to use the dGPU, there's no way to switch to the iGPU. I read somewhere that as it boots up the iGPU is disabled, so that windows doesn't even see it.

6. leman, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

leman macrumors 604

Apple uses their own hardware GPU switching solution, in contrast to most other vendors that rely on a software solution such as Nvidia Optimus or whatever AMD is using nowadays. You would need custom drivers from Nvidia/AMD to support GPU switching on Apple laptops, which, obviously, will never happen. To deal with it, Apple simply hardwires video output to the dGPU.